Bibbity Bobbity Boo Times Two

___ ♪___

___ ♪___

Percy nearly fell into Blackjack's shit when Grover burst into the stables unexpectedly.

"Goddamnit, Grover!," Percy exclaimed, balancing himself with the shovel he was using. "Was it your intention to send me to an early grave?"

He at least had the decency to appear repentant. "My apologies, my old friend. I was just overly enthusiastic about my news is all."

Percy sighed, wondering what the so-called exciting news could be. He put the shovel away and picked up the brush to groom Blackjack's shiny obsidian coat. "Well what is so important that caused you to run here to tell me? Did you finally propose to Juniper?"

Grover blushed. "Unfortunately, no. I'm still working on that. What I wanted to inform you of was the ball."

Percy paused his grooming, glancing over at Grover in doubt. "A ball?"

"Yes!" Grover declared animatedly. "The King is holding a ball for the Prince's twenty-first birthday. He is hoping that the Prince will finally choose a bride."

The kingdom had not had a celebration of any kind in years, ever since the Queen passed away from ill health. To have such an event occur would bring a new sense of spirit into the kingdom and its subjects. Percy's eagerness slowly began to grow.

"Would the castle staff be allowed to attend?" he asked hopefully.

The brightness in Grover's eyes dimmed slightly. "No. They are not. The invited include all of the eligible maidens in the realm and their families. As well as the royal families of neighbouring kingdoms."

Percy's aspirations were destroyed. "Then why are you acting so jolly about it? It is not as if we will be attending."

"Oh, but that is where you are wrong, my friend." Grover smiled brilliantly. "We will be at the ball, just perhaps not in the way we desired."

"And how, do you presume, we will be permitted to enter?"

"I consulted with the head chef this morning and volunteered us to wait the guests for the night. That way, we will be able to go to the ball and eat to our heart's content."

"You do realize that plan requires us to work the entire night?"

Grover waved away his concern. "The guests will be too preoccupied with attempting to romance the Prince. No one will even notice us."

Percy mulled the idea over. It was definitely better than managing the stables. He deserved a day off from the foul stench of horse droppings.

He grinned broadly and patted Grover on the back. "Alright. Let's do it."

"You should invest in some nicer clothing though, Percy. You never know if you will encounter your fair-haired dream girl," Grover teased.

Percy shoved him away, rolling his eyes at his friend's laughter. Although, he would take his advice to heart. He had yet to come across a female who was even remotely close to the mysterious one that haunted his dreams. She had inhabited Percy's mind for close to a year now, making him wonder when he would ever stumble upon this girl in reality.