New World, Same Us

"Hey, 'Beth?"

"Hey, 'Beth?"

"How many times do I have to tell you not to call me that?" Was her immediate reply as she rolled her eyes. She tapped her finger against the back of her phone case. A small smile was spreading across her face, as it usually did when her best friend called.

Percy laughed lightly. "I have news," he said excitedly, if a bit nervously, across the phone.

Annabeth leaned back in her chair. "Really?" she asked mockingly. She could almost imagine Percy stretched across his squeaky twin sized bed, covered in blue sheets. Most likely, there were random candy wrappers and an assortment of clothes on the floor around his entirely blue bed.

"I'm serious," the fourteen-year-old insisted. Annabeth was now listening.

"What is it?" she couldn't help but ask curiously. It was rare that Percy was ever able to - successfully - hide something from her, and rarely was he nervous or especially excited about something she didn't already know about.

"Now you're interested," Percy grumbled teasingly.

"Oh, shut up, Seaweed Brain." The age old nickname (from when they were kids and Percy had refused to eat sushi with her family) was still good for everyday use.

Annabeth could hear the smile in Percy's voice as he said, "I have a date tonight."

For a moment, Annabeth was silent. Her heart panged, but she ignored it. She clenched the phone next to her ear, not allowing herself to respond.

"Uh... Annabeth? You still there?" His confused voice was muffled on the other line. Annabeth took a deep breath. Of course her clueless best friend hadn't been taken her hints. Of course he didn't feel the same way.

So now she only had one question.

"Who?" She asked. It was lucky Percy couldn't see her, because she was scowling menacingly.

"It's a blind date," he said shyly. Annabeth frowned.

"Who the hell set you up on a blind date?" she accused.

"Just a friend."

Annabeth sighed. "Perce, we have the same friends."

"Swim team friend," Percy said hurriedly. He was avoiding the question. Annabeth knew a lot of his swim team friends, if not by name then by looks, and he knew it.

"But-"

"It doesn't matter. It's tonight and I need help."

Annabeth shut her mouth, ignoring the sinking feeling in her gut. Her best friend, who she also happened to have a crush on, was not only going a date, but now he was lying to her? What was going on?

"Weren't we going to the library to study for biology tonight?" Annabeth defended. "Are you ditching our Friday hangouts?"

"Of course not," her best friend said, his voice slightly panicked. "But... could you help me get ready?" He hesitated.