I Hope You Think Of Me

___♪___

______

In every girl's life, there's a boy she'll never forget,

                                                        and a summer where it all began.

- Anonymous

______

July 2014

She doesn't know what compels her to do it.

She hasn't thought about that stupid letter in nearly two years, but yet here she is, clutching it in her hands like it's her lifeline. Maybe it is. Maybe that's why she never mailed it to him, because giving him this letter would mean that she's giving him everything. All of her. Her body, her soul... Her heart.

She didn't have the guts to do it when she was seventeen. She was young and inexplicably terrified of getting her heart broken. Little did she know that once the summer ended, her heart would shatter anyways.

But now it's been three years and she honestly has never regretted anything in her entire life except this.

She looks through the box some more and the memories just keep flooding through her mind. His truck. The fair. The lake. The stars.

She picks up the photo they took on his birthday. His arms around her. His face splattered with the blue cake that she stuffed onto his face. His smile that's so wide it looks like it hurts.

A tear falls down her cheek and she wipes it away angrily.

Something in the box catches her eye. She handles the small piece of jewelry like it's the most precious thing in the world... Which it is.

The necklace was made of thin leather and has one piece of sea glass hanging from it. He got it from the many trips he'd taken with his mom to the beach. It was smooth and had swirls of blue and green all over its surface.

It reminded her of his eyes.

And for the first time in the past three years, she was able to put it on without crying.

She was so tired of crying. Crying about her parents' divorce. Crying for the past that she could never have again. Crying for the future she wishes she could have.

Crying for leaving him.

After a whole month of tears (September was still her least favourite month), she promised herself she would never cry again. But, of course, looking through her box brought everything back tenfold.