The Greatest

word prompt 6: Pain

juliatheawzom3274

White, green and blue light reflected off the sandy dunes of which three Jedi stood. Behind them were the loyal 501st lead by non-other than Rex, Captain Rex. The four collectively lead the fierce ongoing battle on Geonosis. The Genonosian bugs had decided it was their time to rise again as an oncoming threat to the Republic. Reetha and Rex, or the double-R team as they were called, alongside  Anakin and Ahsoka, the double-A team fought back to back, each defending each other. 

The rest of the battalion fought valiantly as they were shielded by the fantastic four. Never before had the battalion made such time. Although battle started only a few moments ago and received heavy fire from the sentient bugs, the 501st managed to push the Geonosians defence to a breaking point a few minutes later. 

Bringing up the rear was the 212th and the 104th. One might begin to question the number of times these three best battalions seemed to team up. Then again, it wouldn't be questioned since Geonosians were ferocious fighters and warriors that proved hard to kill. 

Using two dc-17 pistols, Captain Rex made sure that his aims were perfect and hit every target eliminating them on sight as if he himself wielded a lightsaber. Reetha was more focused in using the force to crush the heavy cannons of the enemy. As the heavy fire began to cease slowly but surely, Anakin and Ahsoka would break into the enemy lines and finish off the remaining heavy weaponry while driving the Geonosians into their crazy catacombs. 

Of course, the four were supported by the rest of the 501st. Seeing their leaders take charge only fueled their fight. The troopers were relieved to have such amazing leaders that cared for their safety, trust unwavering. 

As the 501st cleared the way, the 212th and 104th began to infiltrate the Geonosians catacombs. Latest intel was that the bugs had yet created another major droid factory for the Separatist, for the third time. The galaxy had enough of droids as it is, so the Republic wanted to see through that the droid production would come to a complete stop after this battle. 

Third times the charm they always say, so the troopers were more than riled up to make this battle one for the history books.

---

"Cheers!" Beer spilt over glasses when they knocked against each other. The third battle of Geonosis was a success. The factory was destroyed and the Geonosians finally waved the white flag. 

"Raise a glass to freedom from the bugs boys!" Fives stood on a table and shouted, eliciting proud shouts of agreement from the others of the 501st. Anakin was in a celebratory mood so he and a few other of the more party prone clones, Fives obviously one of them, took it upon themselves to sneak in beer, other fizzy drinks and snacks to celebrate their victory in the barracks. This was the after-party, of course. There was another party with the 212th and 104th but the 501st needed their own.

Anakin joined Fives on the table, much to the dismay of Reetha and Ahsoka, and pulled him into a manly side hug "To the best, most valiant, bravest battalion I could ever ask '-hic-'  for. THE BEST!" The men laughed at Anakin hiccupping mid-sentence. 

"Thank you to my p-padawans, '-hic-' and my '-hic-'  best friend, Captain '-hic-' Rex!" Merry shouts went all around while the Captain and the girls were celebrated. 

As the crowd simmered down, Fives called out Rex to give a speech. Now, despite having a hidden sense of humour and being a very brave man, the captain was still a shy person especially when it came to public speeches. He refused to go up and that's when the two padawans to sat beside him began to chant his name. "Captain Rex, Captain Rex!" 

The men began to pick up the chants, excitedly punching their fists into the air. Rex knew that there was no escape from the horde, so finally and begrudgingly he marched up to the table and stood between Anakin and Fives, trying not to show the tint of pink on his cheeks. Silence slowly took over the barracks and Rex took the stage, well, table.

"F-first of all, an obvious congratulations are in order for successfully teaching those bugs their place. If I'd place my feet on their planet again it would be too soon. I'm getting sand off my armour." 

Anakin jumped in and hung loosely on Rex's side and slurred. "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere." Rex eye-rolled and facepalmed himself at the drunken Jedi. 

"Yeah well, I would also like to appreciate all the brothers that laid their lives during this battle. We couldn't have done it without them. Obviously, we have this guy here to thank for as well." The captain pointed at Anakin, who at this point was slowly slinking off the table, drunk. "I have never seen another general lead and appreciate his battalion as Skywalker does, and so I am proud to serve under him." 

"Let's not forget our dear co-commanders. Without them, we wouldn't have such amazing sisters. Cheers to them and everything they stand for in our lives!" The troopers began to whistle and cheer for the two padawans. 

Ahsoka stood up from her seat "To more victories and to more great times with you boys!" She raised her glass. 

"For all the memories we create and the memories we will create"  Jesse chimed in.

"Yeah, and to less stupid and unnecessary wounds from you dikuts (idiots) too," Kix grumbled but laughed about it anyways. 

Tup then continued the speech for the shinies of the battalion, since they were a little shy. "Here's to our long-lasting friendship and family."

"For being by each of our sides through ups and downs, pain and happiness." Reetha raised her glass while looking at her family gratefully. 

The troops raised their glasses as the speech was spoken, taking to heart and remembering all the good times they had and looked forwards to the good times they would have. Just as the sentiment began to seep in, one drunk Jedi just had to make his presence known 

"To us! CHEERS!" he slurred and took a big swing of beer. Laughter spread among the men and the merry mood was back. The night went on and music blared deafeningly in the barracks, that's what happens when you have a drunk Jesse manning the music. Entertainment wise, the 501st were lucky to have troopers like Fives and Hardcase and even the shinies like Vaughn and Sterling.

 Truth or dare was a must during every gathering the 501st had, and obviously, it will get out offhand. Reetha, Kix, Appo and Anakin had a karaoke contest and butchered it, The shinies had a dance-off with the ARCs and Anakin, in his drunken state, revealed his secret marriage to the battalion. 

"I knew he'll spill it today! I called it, you owe me your credits!" Dogma shouted and the men began to grumble and pay him their bets. 

"Padme is going to kill me. I told her I'd keep Anakin away from the beer" Rex looked at the chaos tiredly and asked the two padawans.

"I don't know. Anakin pretty much dove headfirst into the beer before anyone else could." Reetha sighed, watching her master still flaunting about his marriage to the troops. 

"This is going to be really fun to watch" Ahsoka snickered from between the two. 

So through out the GAR, it was truly that the 501st are the greatest.

-----