Frienemy - Crosshair x male reader

requested by Infinite_Waffelz

Eyes twitched, fingers itching to grab at the blaster at your hip. 

The target, panting in fear and physically drained from all energy by the blasted sun on Jakku cowered between you and the other scary man standing before you. 

On the other side, your adversary, long-time 'partner' who somehow always bumped into you whenever you carried out an extermination request such as this one. Crosshair sneered, chewing on his toothpick. "This target is my kill. Step aside, (y/n)"

Clicking your tongue, you laughed sarcastically, "Missed you too. I thought I left you dead on that Force-forsaken planet"

The target watched closely as the exchange between the two of you continued. 

Crosshair hummed, "Space whales. I caught them and tied them together. Got a free hyperspace ride all the way here." 

"Space whales? What did you tie them together with?"

"Human hair. From my back" (hey, if you get the reference... you GET the reference)

Your face contorted into a disgusted one. Shaking your head you finally got back to the task at hand. "This target is mine. I notice you are as of yet, empty-handed." 

"You two know each other?" The target trembled.

"Yes." 

"We keep meeting" both of you answered at the same time.

"I'm a commander of a handpicked elite squad of the Empire. I overwrite your rights over the target." Spitting out the toothpick, Cross aimed his rifle at the target, claiming it as his. Being as hardheaded as you are you didn't back down, as the usual nature of every confrontation you both had. It is a complicated relationship. 

Cocking your own blaster you aimed it at the target as well, who now flinched under the intense competition of who would get the honour of the kill. "I am the personal assassin of the Grand Admiral. I outrank you." 

Without thinking for another second, you pulled the trigger but the blaster shot was deflected by Crosshair's shot. "Damn it, clone!" A small blaster fight ensued between the two of you, both personal assassin and commander of the Empire fighting over a target. 

Every blast you shot was eliminated by Crosshair's own blaster shots, and every shot the clone made was destroyed with your own, except for some stray bolts that landed dangerously close to the target. Seeing the small window of opportunity the target had, they collected themselves and began to run away, heading off into the wastelands of Jakku. 

Crosshair, having eagle eyes caught sight of the fleeing target and you noticed this. Both of you lowered your weapons and unknowingly inched closer. The figure of the target slowly growing smaller the further he ran. 

"Huh, how long do you think 'it' will last?" you asked, watching the pathetic attempts of the target's escape. Crosshair chuckled as he fished out another toothpick "Not far" he said in rare amusement.

The sun was directly over the two of you, high noon had hit. You looked around and only saw dunes of sand for miles around. "Poor thing is really living a lie." 

"I pity it" Cross smirked. The clone commander slipped on his helmet and adjusted the rifle's scope to his visor, "Together?" 

It was your turn to wear a smug smirk, "Together" 

The both of you were excellent sharpshooters, which further fueled the brewing anger you guys had towards one another. Although sometimes, the rivalry was actually the high-light of your career, as Crosshairs, though he would not admit it. Sometimes, for the fun of it, you both would work together to take down a target. Much like this time.

Both of you aimed your weapons, relaxing tense muscles, and the trigger was pulled. Two blaster shots erupted from smoking barrels, making perfect holes that went right through the targets chest. Crosshair and you watched from the distance as the target body dramatically fell to the sandy ground. 

"Mission successful" 

You hummed in agreement with the sniper. Both of you stood there, just watching the golden sand pick up in the wind. Crosshair lifted his helmet off, revealing his sweaty face.

Both of you turned to walk back to your ships but instead of turning the opposite way, you guys accidentally turned to face one another. Crosshair stilled as he found himself eyeing you down, both of you almost chest to chest. You craned your head back, equally shocked then you glared at him and pushed him off. Both you and the clone eye each other, 

"Watch where your going, tiny" Cross pushed at your chest. 

Your voice deepened, "Watch it your self nerf-herder"

"You slimy no good hut!" 

"I'll slap you in your no good cheekbones"

"Go ahead, my cheekbones could cut you" Crosshair challenged and you shot back, "I wish you misplace your toothpicks and never find them again"

Cross growled and aimed his rifle at you. You jumped and began to sprint to your ship as blaster bolts landed dangerously close to you. You shot back as well, making Crosshair retreat to his. "The next target is mine, StickMan" you shouted, entering your cockpit.

"Not if I can help it, shorty" Crosshair shouted back.

You grumbled, "I'm not sharing this time." Quickly inputting the take-off sequence you drove your ship away from Jakku's airspace and shot off into hyperspace. Finally, you sank back into your chair. An incoming transmission beeped onto your console and you immediately knew it was Crosshair. Running a hand through your hair, you chuckled. You had many friends and many enemies, but none quite made an impression on you than your only frienemy, Crosshair.