How To Grief

Reetha exited the medbay, dark rings around her eyes showed that she'd been staying up the night before to work on her current patient. As she leaned by the corridor, Reetha watched the other medics who worked with her, cart away a body covered head to toe in a white sheet. 

When she returned to the operating room, her sight was greeted by the mess of tools and blood. The patient that came in took in shrapnel as a result from being to close to an enemy bomb. She and her medical team worked effortlessly to save the poor trooper, but it seemed that they were a little to late. 

Around five minutes earlier, the patients heart monitor came to a still. They tried to revive him, but failed. The defeat was evident on the other medics but non decided to show grief. It was always like this. Whenever a soldier came to the medbay, Reetha and the team would work to the bone to save their lives. But the moment they loose a life, they put on a façade, not wanting to show any emotion. After all, they should be used to it by now. 

No matter how many times this had happened, Reetha seemed to become even more emotionally drained. Not being able to share ones grief is burdening and depressing, especially when those whom you thought could share that pain, choose to shun their own sadness. Reetha had not been given, nor did she give herself a chance to properly grief. 

Her shift ended soon after. Reetha cleaned the operating room and left to retire in her room, before choosing to stop in the mess for some food. The mess was not packed but not empty either. Some bridge officers still hung back, speaking in tired hushed tones about their stressful work, and occasional troopers eating tasteless ration bars. Reetha sighed, grabbed a coffee and sat far away as possible from the others. 

While lost in her thought, she had not realized a voice calling her. Reetha only came to her senses when the person sat himself across Reetha. "Hey, for the third time." The person snapped his fingers in front of her daze, successfully gaining her attention. 

Her sight was greeted by two familiar clones.Jesse, and Kix. "Oh, hey guys. What's up?" Jesse slid into the seat next to her, while Kix sat across. "Apparently you." Jesse leaned against the wall. "You okay Reetha? Why so glum?" He asked. 

"Oh, nothing. Work as usual." Kix shared a glanced with Jesse, both sensing something unspoken from the girl. "Reetha. What happened?" Kix asked gently, Jesse leaned in on the table, resting an arm on the table. 

Seeing that the troopers weren't going to give up anytime soon, she annoyedly huffed. "I didn't manage to save a life today alright." The two troopers sucked in a breath, both knowing the pain she was going through. "My team and I tried my best to save his, but we weren't fast enough so he died. Was that satisfactory enough of a confession?" Reetha spat out as tears began to sting her eyes. She quickly gathered her coffee and stomped out of the mess. 

Jesse looked sadly to Kix. "I think you need to talk to her." Kix nodded and immediately ran after you. 

"Reetha! Reetha wait!" Upon hearing Kix's calls, Reetha slowed her pace. She knew that the two weren't going to give up on her so soon. 

She spun on her heels to meet a running trooper. Kix caught up with her, placing his hands on his hips to catch his breath. Reetha didn't want to start any conversation so she kept quiet. 

"Come on. Let's go for a walk." Reetha let Kix lead her to the streets of the upper levels of Coruscant. 

Kix and Reetha walked side by side down the dimly lit streets of Coruscant. The sun had set on the core planet, allowing the planet to truly come to life. The cold and crisp air blew on Reetha's skin, allowing her to enjoy a breath of air to calm her thoughts.