15. Just Me, My Board, and My Thoughts

I sighed heavily as I laid on my surfboard out on the sea, waiting for any good wave. I thought I could catch a few before the commander arrived, but it's been unusually calm today. The commander's really taking his sweet ass time. He told me to go ahead of him while he wrapped things up, but that was almost a half-hour ago. Whatever. I guess I can wait a bit longer. After all, it's the commander.

I just wish a good wave would come in. The port beach is usually great for surfing. Ain't sure why it's so dead today.

I leaned on my hand, drawing circles in the water as my thoughts took over.

I should be happy right now. I get the commander all to myself. No work. No interruptions. Just the two of us on the beach with some crash-course surfing lessons. What more could I ask for?

But... I dunno. I feel so defeated. Hmph... I suppose almost being sunk fresh after repairs might be part of it. Not to mention Richelieu nabbed the MVP. Again. Such a petty thing to bitch about, but it wouldn't be the first time she's beat me. I've never been able to escape her shadow. It's a venom-laced sting that never goes away.

One day, I'll surpass her.

Damn it, I was in such a good mood earlier too. Nothing matches the adrenaline rush from battle, especially after several days of withdrawal. Leading the charge with my fleetmates, kicking ass with the commander watching, looking forward to his praise afterwards... until Akagi ruined everything.

Akagi... just thinking about that bitch made my body simmer.

I think I was too easy on the commander. He should've punished her straight away. Anything except that "I'll think of something" bullshit. Maybe I can talk some sense into him later. He can't be so soft with her anymore. If it were me in his position, I would've slammed her in the brig right then and there. Maybe shave her tails for good measure.

I'll talk to him before we start. He needs to know ASAP. I'll give him a day to think about it, though. I want the rest of our time this evening to be for detox.

Speaking of the commander...

I looked behind me again. Damn, still not here. Just the other surfboard I brought for him sitting there with my hat and cooler. Where the hell is he? How much stuff did he have left to do? Can't surf if it gets too dark out. If swear if he stands me up, I'll hand him over to Akagi myself... after slapping some sense into him.

Unless... he doesn't wanna hang with me?

Jean, don't do this. You're out here to relax, remember? Not beat yourself up. Ya got enough of a beating today anyway. Besides, this is your chance to show him you're not a total bitch. I know he's been on dates with other shipgirls. He should know to never give them the cold shoulder.

Wait... date...?

"Guh!" I yelped. D-Date?! Is this...? Did I accidentally ask him out?! B-But I never said "date" to him! I-I was just hoping to... shit, it feels like I'm gonna have a heart attack!

No! Calm down, Jean. Calm... the hell... down. Deep breaths. In through the nose... out through the mouth. Easy, girl. Easy...

Phew. Okay, now without panicking, let's think. Is this actually a date? That wasn't what I was thinking when I asked. I just wanted to show him that I can unwind after busting his balls all week. But... did he think I was asking him out? But what if...

...no. What am I worried about? I never said the word "date", nor did I ask, "Will you go out with me?" I just invited him to the beach. A guy and a girl can just chill on the beach together as friends, right?