10. Cut the Crap

"Ngh... ergh... no... no..."

...

...

"...no... no...!"

...

...

"Wait!!! Don't...!"

...

"...h-huh?"

Where am I?

...oh... my room.

My body trembled. There was a loud ringing in my ear, like a siren, gradually fading as I came back to reality. My covers were twisted every which way.

Another nightmare. Just what I needed... coupled with the first dream I had as well. I suppose I was overdue for a nightmare, though they never fail to shake me.

"Ngh..." I groaned, struggling to keep my eyes open. They felt like sandbags.

What time is it? Can I go back to sleep?

*BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!*

"Ack!" I yelped. A sudden loud beeping from my phone scared the daylights out of me.

My alarm. So no. I don't get to go back to sleep.

I grabbed my phone and turned the alarm off.

Being startled twice didn't help my headache at all.

Ugh... gonna be another groggy day. Hopefully it ain't too busy.

I left the warmth of my bed and took a quick shower, hoping it'd help wake me up. Unfortunately, it didn't, but at least I felt clean.

I dried and ironed my hair before fixing it up into my usual ponytail. Then it was time for makeup.

As much as I didn't wanna worry about makeup, my eyes had awful dark circles under them. I can't look like this in front of the commander.

I looked away to grab my makeup supplies, and upon looking back, I froze.

"Hngh..." I groaned, feeling my bare neck.

The memory of my dream last night, though mostly forgotten, still needled my heart. I could remember the commander giving me a necklace... and asking me to the ball. Although, was that actually my dream last night or just what my heart wanted it to be? My memory is so hazy that I don't know.

Ergh... whatever. It's just a stupid dream. What matters now is covering up these circles under my eyes. Ugh... it looks like I have black eyes.

...okay, they're not that bad, but they're still ugly and need fixing up.

I got to work, first applying foundation, as per Richelieu's advice. I paid special attention to the circles under my eyes, covering them up and doing my best to blend it with the rest of my face. When that was done, I got out my eyeliner and worked as carefully as I could.

First the right eye... then the left... no need to rush...

And... got it.

I checked myself in the mirror.

Hm... it ain't what Richelieu can do, but it'll suffice.

And finally, mascara.

Once again, I went slowly and carefully. I tried to mimic the rolling motion Richelieu did with the brush, and it was helping to keep my lashes from clumping.

The right eyes... then the left...

...one more touch, and... there.

I took another look in the mirror.