19. Morning Tea Chatter

"Do you feel the dough becoming tauter?" Dunkerque asked, watching me knead a sample piece of dough, torn from the actual dough for the sake of demonstration. "Go on. Poke it with your finger."

I did as she said, pressing into the ball of dough with my index finger.

"See how it just springs right back into that round shape?" Dunkerque asked as I watched the dough's ball-like shape returned. "The more you work the dough, the more elastic and resilient it becomes. For donuts, you mustn't overwork. Only until everything is just incorporated. This is how the dough should feel." Dunkerque tore off another tiny piece of dough and pressed it between her fingers, shaping it like putty. "Soft and malleable, and will give us that crumbly, melt-in-your-mouth texture that I love about cake donuts!"

"So, I did more work for nothing?" I asked.

Dunkerque giggled. "You just did what felt natural. Unfortunately, it resulted in something akin to bagels or a baguette."

"Ergh..." I grumbled.

"Every day is a learning experience, Jeanie. Besides, baking can be awfully finicky," Dunkerque said. "Now then, shall we roll the dough out? I think you'll find it won't fight as much."

I had my doubts in the back of my head as she handed me a rolling pin. I pressed into the dough and my jaw nearly dropped at how easy it was.

Dunkerque grinned. "See?"

This dough ain't fighting one bit! This is a piece of cake! Err... no pun intended. Man, last night really was a disaster.

Once I had the dough rolled out, Dunkerque was ready with the small bowls and shot glasses we would be using to cut out the shapes.

"Then, it's a simple as this," Dunkerque said, pressing the bowl in to make the first circle. She used the shot glass to punch a hole in the center. She held up the dough ring, looking at me through the hole and smiling. "Hehe~! Perfect."

"Why do we punch a hole in the center?" I asked. "Seems like a waste of dough."

"It helps them cook more evenly," Dunkerque said. "And the dough won't go to waste. We can still make donut holes with them!"

"Ah, right," I said. "Jeez, ya really do make this look easy."

"Once you pick up a recipe, you can apply that knowledge to others," Dunkerque said. "I'm sure you'll be a great baker in no time, able to prepare all of the commander's favorite treats!"

I instantly blushed, and Dunkerque smirked.

"Y-Yeah..." I stammered. "Th-The commander."

Ugh... now I've got Dunkerque teasing me too.

After a few minutes, I had a respectable array of raw donuts and donut holes arranged on a platter.

"So, when do we fry these bad boys?" I asked.

"Right about now," Dunkerque said, reading a thermometer she had in the oil. "The oil has just reached 190 degrees. Would you mind bringing the donuts over?"

Dunkerque gestured to a spot on the counter right next to the stove. I brought the platter over, placing them where she instructed.

"Now, use this to protect yourself from the oil," Dunkerque said, handing me a strainer with a long handle.

"Right," I said, noting the small bandages on my fingers thanks to my mishap last night. Must've completely forgotten about this thing in my haste. "So, I just place them in I guess?"

"Let's start with one," Dunkerque said.

I took one of the donut rings and placed it in the strainer, and then carefully into the oil. Bubbles erupted from the dough's surface as it sunk below the surface.