4. A Simple Walk

Ah... it's a perfect day for a walk. Crisp seaside air, clear blue skies, the light rustling of leaves in the breeze... just what I needed to clear my head.

Except it wasn't working. I still felt on edge, though it wasn't a mystery why.

I glanced to my side. Yep... there he is. The commander himself walking right next to me.

I'm trying to play it cool, but his presence ain't making it easy. He's close enough to hold my hand... if he wanted to.

The urge to steal glances was strong and persistent.

Hmph... so what? I don't need to look at him. Why would I need to? I can focus just fine with him next to me. Just... fine...

...hngh... then why do I feel so fidgety? Knowing his tall... handsome self is right beside me...

...one more peek... and that'll be it.

I turned my head, a little further than last time for a better view. Instantly, dopamine filled my body. My heart palpitated, coasting on the high of seeing the sunlight shine on his face.

Is this what it's like to be addicted to a drug?

...GAH! He looked!

I darted my eyes away, trying to look at anything else. My face burned.

Caught red-handed.

"Everything okay?" he asked.

"Y-Yep," I said. "Keeping a sharp eye out for any riff-raff."

Yeah. Totally not checking you out.

"Alright," he said. "Don't be shy if you have questions."

Hmph... "don't be shy" he says. Easier said than done, hotshot.

"Yeah... thanks," I said, pursing my lips.

And then we were silent. Even with the usual hustle and bustle of port all around us, the silence between the commander and I was all I could focus on.

Should I try to strike up a conversation? If I'm so addicted to staring at him, I could at least have an excuse to do so. But... what do I even talk about? It's too early to ask about his day, and he probably won't wanna talk about work-related stuff until we're in the office.

Well... what's he interested in? I don't really know him on a personal level. Shoot... what do I say?!

Oh, for crying out loud, just say something! Anything!

"So..." I said, tucking my hair behind my ear. "D-Do ya like... walking?"

What!? What kinda question was that? Who asks that?

He gave me a weird look. Rightfully so.

"As in... going on walks? Or the act of walking in general?" he asked.

Ugh... I guess I gotta go with it.

"Going on them," I clarified.

Shockingly, after I cleared that up, he acted like I didn't just say something awkward and weird.

"Yeah, it's nice to get out of the office every now and then," he said. "Patrols are a good excuse for that. How about you?"

"Sure, I like walking," I said. "Um... going on walks, I mean. N-Not the other thing."

...what? Have I forgotten how to talk?

And then I kept talking.

"I-I mean, if I had to walk, I'd prefer to go outside... like we are now," I said. "Not like a treadmill or anything. Th-That would just bore me."