3. Just Be Confident

Damn it... my eyelashes still look clumped. Gotta try again. How did I do it so easily yesterday? Must've been a fluke.

I grumbled as I wiped off the botched mascara. Oh well. At least I got a good night's sleep and felt like myself again. And I had plenty of time to gussy up, so I was taking advantage of it. I took a good shower, styled my hair into my usual ponytail, and started on my makeup.

No excuses today. Nobody's gonna be let down, and Dunkerque won't have to cradle me again. I feel good, and after I do my makeup, I'll look good.

I just... argh... I wish this stupid mascara would cooperate. I've still foundation to do. I won't have time at this rate. Ugh... oh well. Let's try aga—

KNOCK KNOCK

Huh? Who's knocking this early?

"Come in," I called out.

The door opened, and in walked a familiar girl with golden blonde hair.

"Oh... Richelieu," I said. " Bonjour ."

" Bonjour , Jeanie," she said.

Richelieu, Cardinal of the Iris Libre... and my elder sister.

Ah... there's that familiar tension in my heart... and familiar weight in the air. Does she feel it too?

But there's another elephant in the room now. Dunkerque said Richelieu heard me screaming last night, and I'm willing to bet that's why she's here.

Maybe by sheer luck she's here for something else?

"What's up?" I asked.

"I heard you yesterday," Richelieu said.

Crap. Of course, why else would she be here?

"Yeah... Dunkerque told me," I said, looking away.

"I was going to check on you myself, but she said you needed space for the evening," she said. "I decided to come by this morning instead."

"...gotcha," I said. "Did she mention anything else?"

"Only that you accidentally missed your first day," she said. "That's all I know."

Ah... so she must not know about Dunkerque cradling me last night. Thank God.

"Is there anything you want to talk about?" Richelieu asked. "Or anything I can do to help?"

Ugh... I've gotta bite my tongue again, huh? I can't just blab about my feelings for the commander. But what else am I supposed to say? If I stay silent, she'll only worry more. I gotta say something.

"I... I just had a rough day," I said. "That's all."

Richelieu didn't look moved.

"Such harrowing screams don't come from just any rough day," she said.

Crap... saw right through that.

"I promise, as God as my witness, whatever you say won't leave this room," Richelieu said.

I shook my head. "I-It ain't a big deal."

"Jeanie, perhaps you'd feel better if—"

"Richelieu, please ," I said sternly. "Yesterday was... mortifying. Whatever Dunkerque told ya, that's all ya need to know. I'd rather not think about it and try to have normal day today, alright?"

She seemed taken aback by my tone.

I'm sorry, Richelieu, but I meant what I said, and I ain't about to spill a single bean about my feelings.