9. Spiraling

It's so peaceful at night, especially by the central port fountain. Its gentle sounds soothed me as I sat on the edge. The streetlights made the water glisten with gold. Around me, the bushes and trees twinkled like christmas lights with the greenish-yellow wisps of fireflies.

I combed the surface of the water as I waited for the commander.

That's right. The commander. I was surprised when he texted me saying he wanted to meet me here. Not only is it almost midnight, but I didn't think he'd wanna talk to me after how much I chewed him out today.

It could be urgent though, so I went with it. I'm awake and... I don't mind spending more time with him.

But where is he? It's been almost ten minutes since I got here.

Ah, speak of the devil.

I looked, and butterflies stirred in my stomach. There he was, as heart-throbbing as ever. Half of his face was glowed with gold from the streetlights, the other with silver from the moonlight.

Don't blush too much, Jean. He's only said your name.

"Jean Bart?"

" Bonsoir , Commander," I said.

"Good evening, Jean Bart," he said. "Thanks for coming. You haven't been waiting too long, have you?"

"Only a few minutes," I said.

"Sorry," he said. "I lost something important and was trying to find it."

"What'd ya lose?" I asked.

His face turned red. "Um... well... it's a gift. For you."

...a gift? What the hell did I do to deserve a present?

"Oh..." I said. "Why?"

"For being a good secretary so far," he said.

I chuckled. "All I've done is nag and yell."

"You've been honest and keeping me in check, which I kind of need," he said. "Not to mention you went the extra mile after the damage you sustained. So... here."

He pursed his lips as he handed me what looked like a jewelry box. I couldn't help but smirk at how much he was blushing. Always feels good when he's the one with red cheeks instead of me.

Anyway, let's see what he lost and had to frantically search for. I opened the box... and I gasped.

"Whoa..." I cooed.

I was looking at the most beautiful blood ruby I've ever seen, cut in a flawless teardrop-shape. I took it out to look at it completely. It hung from a chain as black and shiny as obsidian. The streetlights and moonlight reflected in its facets, creating milky glows of orange and violet respectively.

"Do you like it?" he asked.

"It's beautiful," I said.

"Oh, that's a relief," he said. "I-I would've figured you'd have found something better on a past treasure hunt or something."

I chuckled. "Nothing this clean and perfect. Merci , Commander. You have good taste."

He blushed harder.

"You're welcome," he said, rubbing the back of his head. "I'm glad you like it."

He's cute when he's nervous. Why's he like this, though? Was he that worried I wouldn't like it? Hmph... well, to me, any gift from him is more precious than even the loftiest of treasures.

I tossed my hair behind me to make room as I took both ends of the necklace in my hand.

"You're putting it on now?" he asked.