20. Busted!

"You have a crush on him, don't you?"

...damn it! Damn it, damn it, damn it, damn it!!!!!!

"Oh, just look how red her face is!" Dunkerque said.

"So cute!" Richelieu said.

I... I... oh God, wh-what do I do?!?!!!?!!

"And I think I know exactly who those donuts are for," Algerie said, glancing at the small bag next to me. I heard a giggle from Dunkerque.

Say something, Jean!!! Anything!!!

"Y-You're talking nonsense!" I said, fidgeting my clammy hands under the table. "Th-Those donuts are... wh-what makes you think that I... j-just because he was on top of me? Ha! Wh-Why would I like someone so... h-he thinks he can get away with everything because he's so damn popular? B-Because he has such big eyes or a cute smile—w-w-wait! I-I didn't mean... wh-what I meant was... was... um..."

I faltered. Their grins were just as big, if not bigger after my babbling. If anything, I just further cemented the truth.

Instead, I grumbled and grabbed a donut, angrily stuffing it in my face.

"Busted," Algerie said melodically.

"Sh-Shut up!" I barked.

Richelieu didn't say anything, too busy holding back laughter.

"Goodness, I've never seen you blush so much," Dunkerque said.

"I...! Th-That doesn't mean...! Y-You... um... uh..."

I tried to retort. I tried thinking of anything to refute them. But the only thing that came out of my mouth was some loose donut crumbs.

"Ergh..." I grumbled, burying my face in my hands.

What's the point? I can't salvage this.

Dead silent. Not a sound. Even with my face hidden in my hands, I could feel their smug gazes fixated on me, no doubt waiting for me to say it.

They still gotta hear it from me, don't they? Calling me out isn't enough.

I sighed.

"...fine. You got me."

"AHH!!!" they all squealed.

"Sh-Shush!" I scolded, speaking in a hushed tone. "What if he walks by?!"

"Well, I suppose you'd have to speak to him about it," Dunkerque teased, to which Richelieu and Algerie giggled.

"Or he won't wanna talk to me again!" I said.

"Oh, don't be ridiculous," Algerie said.

"Easy for you to say!" I said. "Grrgh!!! Wh-Which one of you blabbed?!"

Richelieu and Dunkerque both shook their heads.

"Don't lie to me!" I cried. "How else could Algerie have known? She's the only one I didn't tell!"

They both shared looks with Algerie.

"Should we tell her?" Dunkerque asked.

"I suppose," Algerie said.

"Tell me what?" I asked. "Wait... d-does he like someone else?"

Algerie giggled. "We don't know. But it's so cute that you'd ask!"

"Hnngh..." I grumbled. I walked right into that. "Well, tell me then! Spit it out already!"

Richelieu pursed her lips, tracing the top of her teacup with her finger. "Jeanie... we've had a hunch for a while."