12. Y'know What? Screw It

I let out a hefty sigh, placing what felt like the hundredth document in the OUT stack. I've lost count at this point. The IN stack still seemed to tower over me like a skyscraper.

Shiver me timbers, we've barely made a dent. It's not unusual to have a constant inflow of paperwork, but it felt worse today. Though, that's probably due to us doubling down on our procrastination and getting lunch. Maybe that wasn't the best idea.

Even so, I wouldn't trade that quality time with the commander for anything. It was nice to just talk and enjoy each other's company without the monolithic stack of reports casting its shadow over us.

Well, at least I enjoyed his company. Whether he enjoyed mine... God only knows.

I didn't need Akagi crashing the party, though. Can't walk by the commander silently, can she? Well, when I spearhead the assault on that Siren stronghold, I'll show her the flagship of the Vichya Dominion ain't to be trifled with.

At least we're safe in the office. As much as I hate the bureaucracy, it's private time with the commander, which is worth more than the loftiest of plunders. Honestly, if I was working with anyone besides the commander, I wouldn't have taken this job.

I looked over at him, studying the Siren stronghold report intently, sketching potential plans of attack in a nearby notebook.

Why does he have to be so good-looking? If only I knew how to take advantage of this private time. If only I didn't choke on my words when I wanna speak out. My heart's becoming impatient. The urge to do something grows larger every day.

I have all the confidence in the world when in combat, but around the commander? Bone dry.

I gotta try something though. After all, my days as his secretary are numbered. Who knows if I'll ever be chosen again? But damn it all, I can't think of anything to say!

Ugh... I'm so tired. My eyes are starting to glaze over. Why did I have to have a meltdown last night?

"Doing okay, Jean?"

"Hmm?"

Oh crap, I'm zoning out again.

"Um... yeah, I'm fine," I said. "Just tired."

"Do you wanna take a break?" he asked.

I shook my head, stretching my arms out with a loud grunt.

"We've wasted enough time today. Can't really spare a break," I said. "Although, something other than commission reports would be nice."

"Sure thing," he said. "I think there's some expenditure reports on the shelf."

Hmm... I guess it'll have to do.

"I can take care of that," I said.

"Thanks," the commander said. "I need to use the restroom. Be right back."

I nodded and watched as he walked out. When the door closed, I got up and stretched some more. Then I walked over to the window for some sunlight and scenery. I looked down, and I saw the fountain. I watched as a couple destroyer girls chucked in some coins, looking as hopeful as ever. Their smiles... so innocent and naïve, thinking the fountain was somehow magical. But what do I know? I did the same damn thing last night, thinking it would give me some hope. Instead, I cried. Maybe the fountain does grant wishes, though. After all, if the commander's happy, then my wish came true. Even if... I'm left out...

No! Jean... don't you dare dredge up that meltdown. That's the last thing you need.

I watched the destroyers walk merrily away, and I let out a long sigh. They don't know how much of a blessing naïveté is. Without it, you become a cold-hearted, cynical bitch like me.