11. A Chat Over Lunch

Patrol rounds went a little longer than usual. Destroyer girls kept coming up to the commander like groupies asking if he'd chosen someone for the stupid ball. To my relief, he said no to all of them, but it only reminded me of how hot the competition was. Not to mention it ate up our patrol time.

Since we were already out and about, he suggested we head into town and grab some lunch. I guess if we're gonna lose time on our work we should go all out.

Sarcasm aside, going out for lunch didn't sound half bad, so I agreed.

We managed to find a nice place with outdoor seating to enjoy the beautiful day. Surprise surprise, it was a place Dunkerque had suggested.

We exchanged some mild chitchat before we eventually had our food. The commander dug right in, pausing our small talk and allowing my thoughts to take over again.

Suddenly, I didn't feel hungry. My heart started beating faster at the realization... that I'm eating lunch alone with the commander.

I won't lie, part of me wanted to believe this was a date. After all, we're alone, right? Nobody else would be joining us. He even took his hat off—letting his messy, luxurious hair flow freely—as if he knew this was more casual...

...no. I'm sure he'd do this with any secretary. Heck, I know for a fact he's been out with Dunkerque several times. She knows all the good places. And if she doesn't feel like going out, she can just whip up something herself like magic.

Tsk... listen to me. Maybe I'm more jealous of Dunkerque than I let on.

I looked up at him, and my heart was set ablaze. I sighed.

Why did God have to sculpt my commanding officer so perfectly? His hair shined like silk in the sunlight. I wonder if it feels like silk too? And his eyes glittered like diamonds.

No wonder why all the ships fawn over him... including me.

Ugh... should I say something? I have him all to myself right now. He'll think I'm boring if I can't hold a conversation. Besides, I should start trying to get answers and see if... I might have a shot. But... what do I ask? Part of me wants to be blunt, but the other part knows I can't without making it weird. Hey, Commander, do you like me? Wanna take me to the ball? Want a girlfriend? That'd be suicide. Not to mention every other shipgirl wants to say that. And if I came on that strong, I'd sound like Akagi.

"Jean? You okay?"

"Hm?"

...oh crap! I've been staring at him this whole time! And leaning on my hand! As if it couldn't be more obvious that I was staring!

I blinked as reality practically slapped me in the face.

"Y-Yeah, I'm fine!" I said, putting my hand down.

Ugh... very smooth, Jean.

How red is my face? It feels like it's on fire.

"You sure?" he asked. "You haven't touched your food at all."

I looked down. He's right. And right on cue, my stomach growled. So lost in my thoughts I forgot I was hungry.

"Don't worry about me. I'm alright," I said, digging into my food and avoiding eye contact.

"That's not what Algerie told me."

My stomach dropped.

"Algerie?" I said. "Is that what you two were discussing when I came in?"

He nodded. "She's really worried about you. Sounds like the rest of your friends are too."

Suddenly it feels cold out here.