one • prima ballerina

•••"give me somebody to dance for

•••
"give me somebody to dance for..."
•••

March, 1813

Sevyn never really had any particular future sought out for herself. She knew if she wished, Henry would send her off as a debutante with a notable dowry, but she simply was not interested.

Not every woman was lucky enough to engage in a marriage such as Henry and Lucy Granville- open and free. Sevyn wished to parade around town, be viewed as an extrovert, excel in her talents, and her adoptive father allowed her to do just that.

She had no responsibility, she simply made sure no one figured out Henry's secret, and so far... it hadn't been a tedious task.

For seven days a week, the girl attended ballet, dancing within the ensembles of the weekly operas. Her body ached, but she had been trained to push and was prepared to endure.

She had grown up in the scum of England. Not what you would imagine. It was the area where children roamed the streets, running from belts and unbuttoned knickers. It was a horror story down there, and she was extremely thankful that she had been taken in to live in Grosvenor Square.

Sure, the Granville's were... exotic, but they lived the posh life, as well.

Sevyn had grown up attending balls, and taking classes to better her skills on the pianoforte, which was not her strongest suit, but she enjoyed plucking the keys.

She also held a spot in her heart for art. She had grown up around it. She remembered the constant paint wars Henry held in his parlor, chucking handfuls of the beautiful metallic paints back and forth with the child, until the can showed up empty.

They also had the relationship where she would not doubt the possibility of him just engaging in those acts again.

"Sev!" Lucy called from the bottom of the staircase. "You must make haste, or breakfast will be devoured by the beast!" Sevyn knew the love Lucy and Henry had for each other was... abnormal, for it was more of an admiration. They had a mutual agreement to marry- and Lucy basked in the benefits of freedom within society, and she was a respected woman in town.

"Just a moment!" The girl called back down, pulling her hair into a loose ponytail, and tying it with a ribbon. Her nightgown was disheveled, resting nearly unholy on her body. She pushed the straps into place, grabbing her lace robe, and rushing down the stairs to beat Henry to breakfast.

He caught her at the top of the stairs, and rushed down to race her to the table. "Not fair!" She called, trying to catch up to the man, who had clearly cheated. "Ya know, Henry. That was rude."

It was always a different name. Henry, Papa, Sir Granville. It was a joke to her, but she was the closest thing to a child Henry ever saw himself having. He had met the child in Providence Place, an area he had agreed to paint after it grew attention for being a horrendous place to live.

She was merely two, and holding on to life by the tips of her fingers. He could not imagine just leaving her there, and he didn't.

She's lived with him ever since- sixteen years since then, and she barely recognized any glimpse of the life she once lived. She barely remembered her mother, who Henry named Maria. He knew who she was because he went back to find her. The woman deemed him more fit to raise her child, longing for a better life for her daughter. Maria had certainly recognized Sir Granville. So with one final goodbye, Sevyn was off the streets for good.

She never longed for anything, or asked for much, but the race to the breakfast table was a different story, for she ached to catch Henry off -guard just once.

The two laughed as he sat himself at the table, tossing the plate of eggs humorously on the table, surprising the girl. "Hey!" She exclaimed, hearing the clutter of plates as Lucy couldn't help but laugh.

"Must you torture my poor child, Henry?" Sevyn was introduced to Lucy about six years ago. The mother she never had, well, the only mother she had known.

Lucy inspired her to continue dance, to push through the pain, and she had and continued to daily. "It is my only joy in life," Henry proclaimed theatrically. "Do you have ballet today?" He asked.

"As always," Sevyn responded, her tone slightly annoyed. "I wish for just once to be able to enjoy one of your soirées from start to finish..." she groaned, leaning back in the wooden chair, "I always come home too tired."

"I know, sweetheart, but you cannot miss these rehearsals, especially with the season starting up again." Lucy reminded, slightly tracing her thumb on the girls hand, "it will all be worth it. You'll see."

"Can you just promise me that I won't come home to any... unwanted visitors in my room?" Lucy laughed, but Henry's eyes widened.

"What?" He questioned, looking back and forth to both women.

"The poor thing!" Lucy could not stop laughing, remembering the night she had to explain to Sevyn what sex was, and the pure horror that adorned the girls face, "she never saw it coming."

Sevyn simply laughed, biting into the fresh piece of bread, "it was horrid!"

"What was?" Henry pressed again. The man was creative and could be very immature, but when it came to Sevyn, and any doubt of her well-being, he was extremely serious.

"Let's just say... our friends need to know that her room is off limits when they are looking for a place to have fun," Henry caught on, slowly nodding his head, "do not worry about it, dear. I assure you, it will not happen again,"