nine • as good as you

•••"think me still your flower,

•••
"think me still your flower,

i've treasured every hour, it's true.

and if i had loved you, too.

I might has been as good as you."

June, 1813

Sevyn was less than shocked the next morning at the theatre.

Anthony came trudging in with a purpose, extending a note written to her.

Dear Sevyn Granville...

She narrowed her eyes at the man, "and what is this?" She laughed, standing from the floor, and slowly striding towards him with her hands on her hips. "A present for me?"

Anthony did not find it amusing, "certainly." His tone sent a shiver down her spine, "a letter-" she rolled her eyes, issuing him to continue. "From my brother." She gulped, realizing Anthony had quickly discovered the secret she intended to remain hid.

"Well, thank you, my Lord." She sighed, walking back to the barre, "I will look at it later on..." she could tell he was waiting for her to rip open the sealed envelope, "at home."

"Is that why you rejected me?" He asked quizzically, "are you betrothed to my brother?"

She let out a loud laugh, toppling over, "as if you would not know if I was!" She exclaimed, placing the letter next to rehearsal bag. "Anthony, do not play coy," she begged. "I would really appreciate if you left before Siena arrived, I really am not in the mood..."

Before heading back to the door, "You know, Sev..." He sighed, taking another look at her before parting ways for the day, "I could give you everything, and I am not asking for you to love me," he let out a throaty chuckle, "in fact, I pray you would not. I am just trying to provide a better life for the both of us."

She would be a fool to not acknowledge that Anthony was truly doing this for, what he thought, her benefit. They had been friends over a decade, she would never expect him to intentionally hurt her, but this whole scenario seemed quite comical to her.

She watched him leave, still seemingly fuming. She debated opening Benedict's letter, leaving it till she was in the comfort of her own bedroom- knowing Siena was to appear momentarily.

She began to run through positions, allowing her body to process the intensive work she was about to endure.

They were now working on Romeo and Juliet. The first time it would be performed- and a complicated show. Siena was singing the complicated score for Juliet, which means Sevyn knew she had more flexibility.

During the rehearsal, her mind could not help but wonder what Benedict had written in his letter. What could it have been?

Surely, it boggled her mind that in her years of knowing the Bridgerton's, she had never met Benedict. He seemed to be the most free-willed, so she assumed he had been sticking to himself for a vast amount of his life- but she had just met him. Why was he writing her letters?

Walking out of the theatre at around eight at night, she had seen Anthony waiting around for her. She let out a loud groan, stopping on the top step, "please tell me you have not waited here all day."

"I have not," he confirmed, making his way towards her, "my mother wanted me to extend an invitation to you for dinner at the Bridgerton House." She looked at him warily, "I assumed you would say no."

"Would it not be awkward?" She said through gritted teeth, "I mean for you and Benedict?"

"So, it is true." He growled, leaning against the brick hedge. "Something did happen with Benedict."

"Nothing more than what happened with you." She replied hysterically, "why does it matter to you anyways, Anthony?" She bit, "There is, and will never be, anything between us." He avoided eye contact with her.

"Is that a yes or a no?"

"I need to notify my parents..." she stated, "and change out of this."

He nodded in agreement, "I can bring you to your house, and wait for you." She looked to the coach, and agreed.

The Bridgerton House had always been a spectacular view. The beautiful flowers, and spectacular homely energy. "It has been so long..." she said to herself, but Anthony seemed to have heard her.

"It certainly has..." he agreed, "too long perhaps?"

She followed him into the house, instantly hearing the boomed shrieks of young Hyacinth, who she had babysat many a times. Gregory chased her down the long hallway, nearly knocking down the guest- causing Anthony to nearly lose his mind. "Gregory!" He scolded, following the two down the hall- abandoning the girl in the entryway.

"Sevyn...?" She heard, looking up upon Colin. "What are you doing here?"

"I invited her to join us for dinner." Violet responded for her, standing at the top of the staircase. "Hello, dear." She smiled, extending her greetings. "How was ballet?"

"Wonderful!" She exclaimed, smiling to Lady Bridgerton- the Dowager Viscountess. "We began rehearsals for Romeo and Juliet, and let me tell you-"

"Mother-" she was cut off by the delightful man she spent the previous night with. "Sevyn..." his eyes widened as he noticeably gulped.

"Yes, dearest?" Violet responded, turning her attention to her second eldest child. Quickly noting his horrified expression, as Anthony returned, placing his hand on the girls upper arm.

She could sense the devilish smirk on the mans face- and instantly knew it was a ploy to detour Benedict, she closed her eyes tightly, "Do..." the man began, looking quite hurt, "do you know where Eloise is?"

"On the swings, last time I saw her." He nodded, and quickly disappeared after locking eyes with the girl once more. "So..." Violet returned her attention to Anthony and Sevyn. "Any news you would like to share." Anthony seethed, and Sevyn knew what was happening-

Violet thought them to be engaged.