five • something's coming

•••"there's something due, any day

•••
"there's something due, any day. I will know, right away. soon as it shows."
•••

April, 1813

"I cannot believe you forced me to come." Sevyn groaned, staring at the Ton as if they were roaches. "It is... appalling." Henry choked on his champagne at his daughters bluntness. "Too many feathers."

Henry must admit, he much preferred having a daughter such as Sevyn, then one like Lady Cowper's girl. "I cannot believe you are still complaining." Lucy retaliated, watching the movement of the room.

"I asked for no more balls, mother." The girl stated, taking a sip of water. "I would not appreciate being seen along with the other... debutantes."

"If you catch an eye, you catch an eye." Lucy explained, side-eyeing her husband, "What ever comes after it is simply up to you." Sevyn sighed, placing her glass on the table, shifting her attention to Daphne dancing with the Duke.

Surely, the young Granville had heard of Anthony Bridgerton's promise to Nigel Berbrooke; the vile, bumbling idiot. She was grateful that Simon had took matter into his own hands with the seasons diamond.

"Miss Granville," one, but Colin Bridgerton made himself known. Of course, she was familiar with whole Bridgerton herd, but many remained only a name. "I have been aching to get in front of you all night." The boy explained, looking to Henry.

"Well, Mister Bridgerton..." Lucy gave the girl a warning glance, motioning to the dance floor. "I would be honored." She seethed, taking his extended hand.

Surely, the third Bridgerton boy was a great time, but nothing more than that. He had been a dear friend, and that he would remain.

Besides, Sevyn could not deny the peak of curiosity when the Viscount had gotten in the face of Lord Berbrooke. She excused herself from the boy, leading herself into the chaotic mess that was this confrontation.

"You are to be buried if you so much as look in her direction." The eldest Bridgerton threatened, being held back by Simon.

"What is happening?" Daphne hastily whispered, showing up to the right of the Granville girl.

"I was just as curious as you are, Miss Bridgerton." The girl tsk'd, looking wearily at her friend. "Berbrooke is a brute?" Daphne eyes her quizzically, "I presume?"

"Be grateful you will not take a punch from yet another Bridgerton." Sevyn must admit. It was quite an abnormality to see Anthony hold this position- but it was highly entertaining for her.

Anthony aggressively pulled away from Simon's grasp, stalking towards the two young women, and coming to a halt next to his sister. "What has happened?" Daphne started. "Brother?"

"You need not worry about Berbrooke. Sister, it is done." He contemplated speaking again, before offering his hand to the Granville girl and leading her into the ball room. She took one final apologetic look at her friend before joining Anthony for the waltz.

"Much to say, Bridgerton?" She joked, begin to follow the movements of the room. "I had just danced with young Colin. Lady Whistledown will assume this is a plot to entertain the Bridgerton men."

"Is it not?" He asked, eyeing her as well as he could, but it did not interest her. "I suppose if I were to pick a women in this room to wed, you would be the least..." he searched for the word, "horrific."

She huffed, feigning pain. "You wound me, Lord Bridgerton." She joked. "You offer is neither amusing, nor intriguing. I will not marry."

"A spinster?" He reacted puzzled, " you did not seem the type."

"Soon-" she corrected. "I will not marry anytime soon."

He nodded, "I must say..." he chuckled, "what an interesting life you lead."

She narrowed her eyes, urging him to continue.

"You know you drive every man in this room mad," he informed, noting the end of the music. He pulled her to the refreshments table before continuing, "yet you refuse to acknowledge their affections?"

"It is not my problem that these men feel any specific way towards me." She stated confidently, gladly accepted the glass of alcohol he handed her, offering a gentle cheers. "Any man in this room does not look for love," she explained, "they simply are looking for a womb to bear their child," his eyes widened at her willingness to state it as it was. "You, I assume, are no different? With a mistress and all-"

"We do not need to discuss this, Miss Granville," he grunted, looking around him for any listeners. "I am just saying," he pondered her face for any look of disdain, "if we were to marry, it would simply be a win-win situation. You get a title, and the respect you've craved as an artist, and I get the ability to keep Siena around without feeling like a prick." She released a long sigh.

"My plan remains unchanged, Lord Bridgerton." She took another sip, "no matter how temping it sounds... my plans will not be altered to tend to a mans guilt of infidelity to his future wife."

He took that as his motion to leave, giving her a final nod. "Have a great night, Miss Granville."

She felt a twinge of guilt for her refusal of her friends hand, but what example would she be setting of herself- especially with Siena as her dearest friend. Surely, the Viscount would still expect the girl to bear his children, all the while he was spending his mornings and nights with Siena Rosso. That was not a life she wished to live. Raising her children alone, it seemed painfully lonesome- truly, she understood that Anthony did not intend to cause her emotional harm.

She was not mentally prepared to reject the proposals of one of her dearest friends tonight, and honestly, it left her in a state of despair, worried she had damaged the relationship she held with the man.

She felt she had something coming her way. An awakening of some sort, and she was certainly ready for it.