six • sweet liberty

•••"well, women feel as men do

•••
"well, women feel as men do. we must engage our minds and souls.

let us like our brothers, let our worth define our roles."
•••

May, 1813

Sneaking into the dark night with Siena Rosso was always quite thrilling. She thoroughly enjoyed the presence of the woman.

She was lead to the back entryway of Genevieve Delacroix- her modiste's boutique, entering quite loudly. She heard the woman call out, "hello?" Hearing an exasperated chuckle erupt from Siena, she could sense the woman's fear from the room over. "The shop has closed!" She announced.

Siena made her presence known by revealing herself through the curtain, and Genevieve could not be more relieved. "Bloody hell, Si!" She exclaimed, throwing the scissors she armed herself with to the ground, "you half scared me out of my wits!"

Sevyn laughed, "What?" Siena asked, leaning against the wall. "I used the back entrance, as you asked." She lead the way to the seating area, "heaven forbid someone discover you consort with the most notorious opera singer in all of London, and her precious, brainwashed accomplice."

Sevyn lightly smacked her friends arm, "I am hardly brainwashed. Thank you."

"You are but third on that list, Miss Rosso." Genevieve assured. "You know, you are always welcome here." She extended the invite to her own client. "I know you are used to finer comforts," she told Sevyn, "but stay as long as you need."

"You are a dear friend," Siena sighed, and stated sincerely. "But I shall find an arrangement with another gentleman soon enough." The younger girls attention was soon brought back to the older woman.

"What?" She exclaimed, eyes narrowed. She had not heard a word of this.

"Hopefully someone less of an ass than your last." The modiste laughed. "I know. We will not think of him." She walked over with a bottle of wine, preparing to serve the two young ladies.

"This is beautiful work." Sevyn admired the standing pink gown, similar to the one she had adorned at last years end of season party.

"For Lady Cowper's girl." Genevieve informed, causing Sevyn to grit her teeth.

"A horrid girl, indeed."

"Not that any gown of mine will help her get an offer," Sevyn could not hold back her giggle, quickly agreeing with the woman. "Not even my finest silks will compensate for that sneer." She pondered Siena for a moment, "I could make you something out of the same fabric. Perhaps for your performance next month."