eight • forgiveness

•••"you have to be strong to offer good for evil,

•••
"you have to be strong to offer good for evil,

return right for wrong.

we must not hold a grudge, and we must learn to endure."
•••

June, 1813

Within the confinement of the Gentleman's Club, Benedict Bridgerton had taken the chance to take up conversation with Henry Granville, "perhaps they should take it over to Somerset House so it can be skyed right next to mine." He teased the younger man.

"I believe I owe you an apology, sir." Benedict began sadly.

"Unnecessary." Henry simply stated. "I actually quite enjoy the eloquent strings of your critique." He added, confusing the apologetic man. "So?"

"A touch morose for my tastes." Benedict sighed, viewing the painting of the sky.

"Mm..." Henry brought him along to view the next- an old man-

"a tragedy," Henry inhaled, "the hound deserved better." The older man chuckled aloud at Benedict's interesting acknowledgment.

"Where is yours?" He asked, still erupted in the fit of laughter.

Benedict looked puzzled, "my...?"

"Your work." Henry finished for him, "are you to tell me you're not an artist yourself?"

"Well, I- I suppose sometimes I like to..." he sensed the same childlike demeanor his own daughter characterized, knowing the boy felt as if he were to be scolded. "Well, I mean, I almost-"

"I believe 'yes' and 'thank you' are the words you seek." Henry tried to save the boys mind from exploding with excuses. "But either way, you should come by my studio." He handed the Bridgerton his business card, often a ploy to attend to his and Lucy's needs- but he intended to play matchmaker for his child- much to her dismay, he saw something different in the Bridgerton she never seemed to have met. "The pieces I do for myself are there, and I think you will find my real work far less, um..." he searched for the words, "oh, how did you put it? 'Cold and lacking inner life'?" Benedict scrunched his face, appalled by his own choice of words. Nodding with each beat the man took.

"Mm." He sighed. "I shall never live that down, shall I?"

Henry only chuckled in response, turning away to the sounds of the mans laughter.

"Eloise!" After ballet, Sevyn was eager to catch Eloise before her arrival to Bridgerton House from her daily walk. "Please, wait!" She begged, breathlessly running after her dearest friend. "Eloise!"