twelve • things beyond this earth

•••"things beyond this earth,

•••
"things beyond this earth,

things beyond our sacred thoughts of heaven.

these are things that reason defies,

but reason sometimes lies."
•••

July, 1813

Sevyn wished she understood the disappearance of Siena Rosso.

After her apparent final meeting with Anthony Bridgerton, she fled town, according to Madame Delacroix, and it truly wounded young Sevyn. "She left late last night." Genevieve confirmed, sitting down on the cushioned seat across from the young Granville. "The Viscount visited her at the theatre-" Sevyn groaned, letting her hand fall back against the rest, "Claiming her intentions to make him jealous."

"Of course, he did." She shook her head furiously. Anthony Bridgerton would truly be the cause of her own demise, "do you know where she went?" Sevyn asked sincerely.

"Of course," she began, "she went to-"

Bang bang bang

The older woman's eyes widened, her attention being drawn to her front door. "I am not expecting anyone..."

The rough pounding on the woman's front door had no ceased, so she trotted to quickly open it.

"Madame Delacroix, good day." Of course, it was the man of the hour. Sevyn stood behind the door, out of sight. "May I-"

"She is not here." She cut the eldest Bridgerton off, trying to shut the door, but her attempt being in vain- as he quickly stalled it.

"I only beg a moment of her time." He claimed, sounding quite desperate. "She does not owe me her time, I know that. She does not owe me anything." He acknowledged, sounding quite guilty. "But I wish to provide for her regardless, as I promised. She will be taken care of." Realizing the woman must not have actually been present, as he assumed, "will you tell her?"

"You are too late." Genevieve confirmed, "Siena's gone."

"Gone?" He choked out, "you mean, she's left town?" Sevyn could not help, but feel sorrow for Anthony- a man she has known since she wore diapers.

"Indeed. As it transpires, my lord, she does not need your money," Genevieve let it sound as cruel as possible, trying to defend the honor of a dear friend, "nor anything else from you for that matter."

"Tell me where she is?"

"Leave the young lady alone." She warned, "have you not done enough?" Before slamming the door on the Bridgerton, "that was... exhilarating."

Sevyn simply nodded sullenly, leaning against the door, and feeling the pressure on the other side, knowing Anthony had no left, she waited for Genevieve's retreat to the parlor, before sporadically opening the door and pulling the man into her warm embrace. "I am so sorry." She stated sincerely, before returning to Madame Delacroix in the house, leaving Anthony dumbfounded.

Although there was nothing the girl found more entertaining than a silenced man, seeing Anthony in pain hurt quite a bit more than she had expected it to.

Standing within Genevieve's shop later on in the day, Sevyn admired the work that was quickly being done on Daphne's wedding gown.

"Your wedding gown is a long way from being finished, Miss Bridgerton" the modiste began, causing a fearful look on the Dowager Viscountess' face. "I promise you will not be disappointed."

Sevyn gave a wide smile to her friend as the older woman discussed nightwear, frightening the girl who had no idea what was to come.

"It will be a most special time, dear." Violet confirmed, earning a small giggle from Sevyn, who knew exactly what that special time was. "Yes, five." Violet agreed. "Five nightdresses will do nicely." With a fit of laughter, the women accounted for the unwanted presence of Lady Cowper and her snake of a child.

"Daphne," Sevyn could feel herself gag just by her voice, "how lovely to see you." Cressida greeted, "oh, I do hope your wedding dress will be ready in time. Madame Delacroix must be working so fast." If the young girl had not had to act civilized, she swore she could have gauged out the witch's eyes the second she looked upon Daphne in such a way.

"Mama, might you spare us a moment?" Daphne asked Violet. "I must have Cressida's opinion on some fabric."

With a nod, Sevyn followed Violet into the entryway, instantly being under investigation by the mother of eight. "Sevyn..." the woman look serious, causing the girls heart to beat faster and faster. "What is happening?"

"What ever do you mean, Lady Bridgerton?" She admired the pale pink fabric Genevieve had pulled out while drafting her own gown.

"With my son." She stated, "or should I say sons?" She could not help, but smile to herself.

"I have no clue what you mean, Vi." The older woman sighed, "truly."

"You know you are like my own, Sev." Violet pressed on, examining the shimmer in the fabric that the Granville was admiring, "you can tell me anything. Even if it makes me wish to go home and smack my son."

"Everything is going smoothly, Vi." The woman gave her a questionable look. "Of course, I feel something for him-"

"Anthony?"

"No exactly." She sighed, meeting the woman's quizzical gaze. "Benedict."

"Benedict?" Violet responded surprised. She had never seen the pair talk, but she supposed she felt the tense energy between the trio when Anthony had touched the girl. She did not know how she didn't sense it earlier- Benedict always seemed to be the one to get away with everything. "I see."

"Violet-" hearing Daphne's loud nervous breathe, Sevyn's eyes quickly moved to the girl, who looked as if she would like to scream. "Daphne..."

"I wish to go home." Confused, the woman asked Madame Delacroix to carefully remove the work-in-progress, and get Daphne home to cleanse her spirits, while Anthony and Simon were off trying to retrieve the license for them to wed by the end of the week.

All the while, Sevyn wished to understand what were to happen to her relationship with Anthony if she chose Benedict? Or what were to happen if the Ton shamed her into a respectful marriage with the Viscount.

After all, as Lady Whistledown loves to remind us,

All is fair in love and war.