twenty • rain

•••"a flicker of light

•••
"a flicker of light

leading me onwards.

over the moors

to a road."
•••

August, 1813

The rest of the night was... horrid? Anthony's behavior surely had bestilled the Thompson girl. She had seemed quite uncomfortable by the Viscount's seemingly lack of support for the recent proposal.

Not even to get into Prudence's horrible voice, or Philippa's lack of skill on the pianoforte, Sevyn felt as if her ears were to begin spewing blood at any moment.

"So," Colin smiled, collapsing on the chair to the left of his friend, "what do you think?"

"She seems lovely, Colin." The girl smiled, anxiously looking around her. "Where is Benedict?"

"In Anthony's study," he narrowed his eyes at her in confusion. "Why?"

"Those men must be with malt above water..." she sighed, standing from the comfortable cushion. "I must go check on them." Colin chuckled, "what?"

"They are grown men, Sev." He explained, "they can handle themselves."

The sound of a loud crash was heard down the hall- followed with the irritating laughter of the eldest Bridgerton, who had way more drinks than he should have. "Ah, yes." She smiled sarcastically, "grown men."

She followed the ruckus, drawing her closer to the booming voices of the brothers. "You are to marry?" Anthony asked, leaning against his desk, trying to control his own laughter. "To who?" He pressed.

"I am to ask for her hand." Benedict rebutted, pointing his finger at his elder brother, taking another sip of brandy. "Sevyn." The girls eyes widened, hiding herself before the door, needing to hear more.

"Sevyn?" Anthony was still, staring at the other man. "Benedict-"

"I will marry her, brother." He sighed, the room suddenly turning cold due to the unexpected seriousness. "Their will be no others." She could not fathom the rest of the conversation- her heart rate picking up speed.

He was planning on proposing.

She was not even involved in the marriage market. Sure, they had partaken in some pretty intense and passionate events- but the girl was no where ready for marriage.