seven • secret soul

•••"i pray a wave will come and carry me closer to his troubled tide

•••
"i pray a wave will come and carry me closer to his troubled tide."
•••

June, 1813

I have always thought than an appreciation of the arts is what lifts us beyond mere animals.
It stirs the passions and moves the spirit, and, this author hopes, inspires more newsworthy pursuits.

A new wing at Somerset House is to be opened today, where several attraction will be on display... like the lovely Miss Marina Thompson, newly recovered from her mysterious illness and expected to finally rejoin the season.

Of course, there is today's royal attraction as well, Prince Friedrich of Prussia. His highness has to our shores in want of a fine Fräulein. Could this be the reason a certain language tutor has been seen visiting Cowper House all week?

Meanwhile, we all anxiously await the engagement of Miss Sevyn Granville and the Viscount, Anthony Bridgerton, seen walking around Grosvenor Square last night... unchaperoned.

Lady Whistledown's Society Papers

Sevyn groaned aloud, throwing the column to her mother, who watched her sadly from the entryway. "I will not marry Anthony Bridgerton." She told dramatically. "Reformed rakes are nothing, but a tragedy."

Lucy hated seeing her child this way, but she ushered her up the stairs, deeming she needed to get ready for her fathers exhibition at Somerset House. A true accomplishment, really, but after the article, she was fearsome of showing her face in public.

She placed on her garters, quickly buttoning up the hashes before calling her mother in to string her corset. Doing it alone was much too troublesome and tiring, she refused to.

"You know we will not force you to marry the Viscount," Lucy confirmed, pulling on the strings, hearing a low grunt leave the girls mouth. "Correct?"

"I guess." The girl huffed. "We didn't even do anything."

She knew lying was an awful thing to do to ones mother, but some things were left better unsaid. Such as the little rendezvous she engaged in with the eldest Bridgerton; given her consent or not, she had participated in it, and somewhat enjoyed it, but knew she could never seek out a man such as himself.

Her dress was stunning. The color of an empire apple, with mesh sleeves adorned with rubies. Madame Delacroix truly drew attention to the designing of the gown. "Stunning." She heard from her doorway, turning and seeing her father, who was all set to leave. "You look exquisite, my dear." He kissed the girls forehead, asking if she was ready to go- and she was certainly prepared.

It was no quiet affair when the Bridgerton's arrived- making quick note of Anthony's gaze around the room- most likely in search of her.

She saw the rest of the herd slip passed their mother's grasp. To avoid the gaze of the eldest brother, she quickly found Penelope and Eloise, who quickly greeted her. "Quite dull, would you not agree?" The painting was quite mature.

"It is terribly familiar, yet I am sure this is the first time I have seen it." She heard Penelope respond. Frankly, Sevyn could not help but notice Eloise's coldness towards her.

"That is because, like all of these paintings, it was done by a man who sees a woman as a decorative object." She noted, openly disgusted. "They are like..."

"Human vases?" Sevyn chimed in, earning a loud laugh from the youngest Featherington, who quickly parted ways from the two, claiming to hear hers mothers calls.

"Is there something you wish to tell me?" Eloise asked one of her dearest friends, who looked to her confused. "What ever happened to men not peaking your interest?"

Sevyn remained in the dark, "Eloise...?"

"My brother?" Sevyn jumped at the sudden exclamation from the younger girl. "Out of every man-" she groaned. "Why did it have to be my brother?"

"Eloise- it was a mistake." She admitted.

"So, it is true!"

Across the room, the second eldest Bridgerton stood examining a work of art. "It's much too cold." Receiving an amused look by Lady Danbury. "Where's any sense of the subject's spirit?" He could not help but continue, "and the light!" Lady Danbury remained silent, which egged him to continue, "given the quality, I do wonder why the piece was not skyed with the other daubs."

"Perhaps we should ask the artist." Lady Danbury simply stated.

"That would be something, Lady Danbury." Benedict jokingly replied.

"Mm. Mr. Granville," she began to the man standing at her right, "why was your piece not skyed?"

Benedict looked dumbfounded.

"Hmm..." the older man began.

"Mr. Granville, I-" Benedict attempted to ease the tension, unsuccessfully.

"If you will excuse me, um, I must find Sevyn." He stated to Lady Danbury, who began chuckling at the misfortune bestowed upon the younger man to her left.

"You diabolical..." he stated in disbelief, "how could you let me rattle on like that?"

"How could I not, my dear Mr. Bridgerton?" She asked curiously. "It was riotously funny, you must admit."

Circling back to Sevyn's uncomfortable demeanor- Anthony had finally caught up to her.

"Sev..." he sighed. "Can we talk?"

She gazed her eyes across the room, "with Whistledown's article being released this morning?" She chuckled deeply, "highly inappropriate."

It was not a long conversation, before she excused herself from her eager friend, who felt he definitely had lost the younger girls trust.