three • the ballet girl?

•••"you will study ballet, there will be injuries, that's to be expected

•••
"you will study ballet, there will be injuries, that's to be expected. Dance is the core of life. Dance is our salvation. Movement. Touch. Expression."
•••

March, 1813

Standing within the confinement of the modiste, Sevyn walked around like a child who had just been scolded.

"How do you feel about this fabric?" Lucy asked. "Beautiful, no?" Sevyn shrugged to the woman. "I guess not. Orange is not really your color."

They continued to walk through the boutique. "What of this?" She pointed out the white fabric, with light blue shimmer. "This would look stunning on you!"

Knowing it would make her mother happy, Sevyn nodded, earning a little shriek from the woman next to her.

Madame Delacroix came to inspect the choice, agreeing with the idea that it matched Sevyn's complexion perfectly- the girl just wanted to leave and return to rehearsing.

The opening ball at Lady Danbury house is a most highly sought- after invitation, indeed, for every darling debutante from Park Lane to Regent Street will be on display.

Titled, chase, and innocent, this is what they have been raised and trained for since birth.

Tonight, we shall discover which young lady might succeed at securing a match, thereby avoiding the dreadful, dismal condition known as "the spinster."

Lady Whistledown's Society Papers

Sevyn hated the scenery.

Simply despised and cared to show nothing but disdain, much to her fathers dismal. Preferably, she would be at the theatre with Siena, but due to her fathers lifelong friendship with Lady Danbury- there was no way out of this situation.

She walked through the crowd on her fathers arm, catching the eyes of many men, but responding with a simple eye roll. She did not plan on marrying anytime soon, and surely no man in her presence was to change her mind.

"Henry. Lucy." Lady Danbury greeted, nodding her head to the girls guardians. "Ah..." she smiled, catching glimpse of the young woman. "Miss Granville." Sevyn gave her a small wave, uncomfortable with the sudden attraction of attention. "My, have you grown."

She felt uncomfortable. Not quite remembering who this woman was, or any memories they might have shared. "Hello..." she meekly responded.

"No worries, dear." Lady Danbury eased, "I do not know who half the people in this room are, either."

Sevyn released a loud laugh, quickly covering her mouth with her laugh, as Lucy just looked at her and smiled. She truly had an unmatched personality, which Lady Danbury definitely noted.

She stood around the refreshments table, spotting Daphne, who looked quite distraught, talking to Simon.

"Accosting you?" She heard, quickly making her way to the girl. She missed a few sections of dialogue, but appeared around "this is not..."

"Basset!" The girl stated, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Why, if it isn't Miss Sevyn Granville." Simon acknowledged, taking in her matured appearance.

She simply bowed to him, before placing her hands on Daphne's shoulders. "I take it you have met my friend?" She began. "Daphne Bridgerton..."

Daphne smiled to her, thanking her with her eyes. She could tell her friend was embarrassed. "We had just met, actually." Simon clarified.

"Baset!" Sevyn's head quickly made notice of the man appearing on her left.

"Bridgerton!" Simon chanted, walking up to the eldest Bridgerton brother.

"I heard news of your father..." Sevyn zoned out the rest of the conversation, feeling comfortable around the group of people she had grown up around.

"Oh, the Duke of Hastings, is it?" She heard Daphne mockingly reply, drawing her back into real time.

Anthony explained her met Simon at Oxford- while Sevyn met him at a late night performance. He had chased off a man who greeted the girl in an improper way- possibly saving her life that night. "You could be nicer, you know?" She sighed, watching the Bridgerton's walk away.

"What ever do you mean?" He asked quizzically. "Drink?"

She turned down his offer, "the whole world is not out to get you, Simon."

"And I should be taking that advice from...?"

"From me. A girl who was abandoned at two and adopted by the most flamboyant man in England. A dancer, who somehow still is respected in the public eye?" He released a throaty laugh, shaking his head at the girl. "The ballet girl?"

"My apologies." He said sincerely, suddenly growing serious. "Are you debuting?"

She couldn't help but laugh aloud at the man, "me?" He nodded his head, "oh, heavens no!"

"I am sure if you were to join the wedding market right now, you would draw the attention of this whole room." Simon stated blankly. "Hell, even Bridgerton seemed he would have taken you up on that very offer the moment you said the words."

Knowing the mans relationship with one of her dearest friends, she found the comment horrific. "Never in a million year, Simon."

He shrugged to her jokingly. "Do I hear wedding bells?" Lady Danbury questioned, joining the pair, who instantly created more room between them.

"Most definitely not." Sevyn grunted, laughing at the disgust present in Simon's short response.

"Rude." She taunted, scrunching her nose to him.

"Some perfect people with such... questionable ideals." The woman huffed, before returning to her crusade around the room.

"She is going to kill us one day." Simon laughed.

"That would truly be something, wouldn't it?"