nineteen • slip of a girl

•••"he's young in his heart

•••
"he's young in his heart.

he loves me, i'm sure.

i solemnly swear...

our love will endure."
•••

August, 1813

If there was one place Sevyn did not wish to be, it was in the presence of Lady Featherington. While Sevyn adored Penelope, the older woman had quite the intimidating stare, and the girl did not feel secure whenever she was near.

"Do I have to be here?" The girl huffed, easing her way to Eloise's side. "I am not even a Bridgerton."

"No." Eloise agreed, smirking at the girl. "You are the best friend of a Bridgerton." She continued, seeing the girl roll her eyes. "Oh, stop complaining."

"Says the Queen of the very thought!" She exclaimed, crossing her arms over her chest. "I am not apart of this family, Eloise."

"For now."

"What was that?" Sevyn asked through narrowed eyes.

"What was what?" Eloise asked quizzically, knowing Sevyn had heard her.

"What did you say, Eloise?"

"I did not say anything." Eloise stated defensively, halting her movements to gaze upon the girl. "You must be hearing things."

"Eloise!" The girl stomped, leaving her mouth open. "You can accuse me of many things," she explained, "but hard of hearing is not one of them."

"Then we must add it to the list." The girl taunted, seeing Sevyn's growing aggravation. "I did not say anything."

Stomping down the stairs, the room was adorned by all the Bridgerton clan. Anthony sat on the sofa, reading through his own articles, not paying any mind to Hyacinth eagerly chasing Gregory, slipping all over the wooden floor. "You stare at me." The man laughed, gazing up at the girl. "What have I done now?"

"Nothing that I can think of." Sevyn confirmed, collapsing next to him. "Why must I be here, my lord?" He grinned at her childish stance.

"Colin seeks comfort within you." She glared at him, wanting the real explanation. "Alright, alright... this is a bad idea, Sev-"

"Antho-"

"We need to talk him out of this." He cut her off, looking at her within his usual scowl. "The only person he will listen to is you."

"I do not know what you expect me to do."

"Do what you do best," he grinned. "Talk."

She truly did not understand the problem to Anthony- it was not his life, not his decision. She figured it was just her over-protectiveness; his fear of his brothers possible heartbreak.

"I do not know about this, Anthony." The man rolled his eyes, knowing it was inevitable that he would end up being right in this situation. When he felt negative about something, he always seemed to be right. "It seems like an overstep..."

"Since when are you interested in minding your own business?" He joked, receiving a smack to his arm. "Just pulling your leg!"

"Anthony," the girl sighed, assuring no one was listening, "I think I will not involve myself in your... mischievous act."

He huffed, standing from the sofa, rushing to his mother's side. "He seems grumpy."

Looking up to the second eldest Bridgerton, she flashed him a bright smile. "Isn't he always?"

The man laughed, extending his hand to assist her to her feet. "You look beautiful." He allowed his eyes to trace her figure. "Would you be interested in accompanying me to the parlor?" He smirked devilishly, seeing her eyes widen.

"Benedict!" She scolded, crossing her arms over her chest. "Someone might hear."

"Let them." He stated seriously, catching her off guard. "I would like everyone to hear."

"Benedict-"

"Dinner is ready!" Violet announced, seeing Sevyn's colorless face, Benedict quickly surpassing her with Eloise. "Are you alright, dear?" She asked, pressing the back of her hand to the girls temple. "You look sickly."

"Peachy."