11. It sure as fuck feels like it

"I am so freaking excited!" I squeal as I storm into Jean's room to show her my outfit for the night.

"You look like a five-year-old on a sugar hype!"

"BECAUSE IT'S KARAOKE NIGHT!!"

I love karaoke, as I've always loved singing. I'm not particularly good at it - I can carry a tune without any problem, but my voice is just so ordinary - and that's the only reason why I have never tried a career in music, otherwise I would have probably shown up at every single talent show casting. There's something about being on a stage, holding a microphone, and singing my heart out that makes me so incredibly happy. I actually sing all the time: in the shower, in the car, while I'm cooking, cleaning... poor Jean has never complained about it, but sometimes I feel sorry that she has to endure that.

"Will you let students and other people there take the stage or are you gonna hog the mike all night?"

"I haven't decided it yet," I shrug. "I kinda hope there will be students to pass the mic to, because if the activity is a success then we can do it again maybe next year."

"Yeah, I guess not a lot of people have signed up, but we can still hope they'll show up anyway. And I demand a duet, missy!"

"You bet! So, what do you think of my outfit?"

She takes a good look at me as I spin in front of her multiple times in my fishnet stockings, a denim mini-skirt, combat boots, a Rolling Stones t-shirt, and a black leather jacket.

"You look like a groupie!" she comments, making me happy. "But I would leave the hair down... for the headbanging, you know."

I've slightly curled my usually very straight blond hair and pulled it up in a messy ponytail, but I accept Jean's suggestion and I let it come down on my shoulders. I know I'm fussing way too much over my outfit, as tonight is just a school activity, but I like to free the rocker in me when I go singing at karaoke. Besides, they're gonna take pictures of us and put them up on the school's Facebook page, so I want to look nice.

Jean looks quite rock'n'roll, too, wearing ripped black jeans, a burgundy see-through top, and matching Dr Marten's. Her very short hair is full of gel and spiky as always. She's thinking about dyeing it electric blue, but she's not sure our boss would appreciate that. I think she would look amazing, especially because the hair color would bring out her blue eyes even more.

"So, is Nataniel coming tonight?"

"Nah. Nightshift," she sighs. "That's what I get for dating a nurse. Alright, I'm ready, let's go."

The karaoke bar isn't too far from our apartment, when we get there there are only a couple of students and, of course, most of the staff.

It's a nice bar with a few tables and a little stage, the lights are low and colored, to give the impression of being at a real live music gig. It's the first time I come here, as I usually prefer another place further from the center of the city, but I like it.

Violeta hands out the free drink cards for us teachers, so Jean and I immediately order a beer, then we grab the booklet with the song list and we start browsing, searching for something to sing. The catalog is wide but not exactly up-to-date, and the most recent song we can find dates back to 2010.

"I'd say we go '90s and trashy," I suggest. I'm a sucker for some good ol' nineties music, and I know Jean is too.

"What if it's early 2000s and trashy? Would that work?" asks my friend, pointing to one specific song on the list.

I smirk. "Perfect."

And just like that, we are on the stage singing our own rendition of Lady Marmalade, having the time of our life showing off some supposedly sexy moves, trying to imitate Pink, Christina Aguilera, Mya, and Lil' Kim in the video - and, I might add, not doing a really good job, but we're so far from caring right now, as we're enjoying ourselves way too much.