33. Fragile

The WiZink Center in Madrid is packed. The concert has been sold out for months now, which doesn't surprise me considering Sydney Grant is an international superstar who rarely comes to Europe. What does surprise me is that she still has this big of a following after she came out last year. I'm obviously happy about it, but I can't say I was expecting her fans to still show her this much love after publicly declaring she's gay and she had lied for years to everyone about her sexuality.

The seat Jean and I bought months and months ago are really great, we're only seven rows away from the stage. When we find them, Rory looks around her and bursts out laughing.

"What?"

"Please tell me you've noticed we're surrounded by infants. The oldest person here, if we don't count the parents, is a teenager. Well, and us, of course."

I shrug. "Don't be fooled by the appearance, many of the adults here genuinely like Sydney."

"You see, this is what I don't get: you usually listen to hard rock and metal, what the hell are you doing listening to some popstar?"

"If I had known you were going to make fun of me the whole time, I wouldn't have asked you to come with me," I pout.

"I'm not making fun of you, I'm just curious. You have to admit, having Pink Floyd as your favorite band and Sydney Grant as your favorite singer is a pretty strange combo. I just want to know."

"For the sake of getting to know me?" I tease her. I'm walking on thin ice, I'm quite sure she doesn't let anyone see the softer side of her she has shown me on the train, and probably teasing her about it isn't the smartest idea ever, but I can't help it. This is who I am, I have a very twisted sense of humor and I never know when to shut up.

Thankfully, Rory seems to be in a really good mood today, so she just playfully rolls her eyes and lightly slaps my arm.

"It's the lyrics," I confess. "She has a way with words... they just go straight to my soul, always have, since I heard one of her songs for the first time. Her music got me through some really tough time, even though it's not exactly the kind of music that I usually favor. Besides, she's family."

"Family?"

"Gay."

"Sydney Grant is gay?" Rory screams, making a few heads turn.

"What planet do you live on? It was like, all over the internet when she came out. Her album, the one you were playing in your car on my birthday, is called 'Out' and tells her journey from when she first realized she was gay to when she came out. She's married to actress Haley Harp. How can you not know that?"

She shrugs. "I guess I'm not into celebrity gossip? Anyway, maybe I should listen to that album more closely, if it talks about discovering the attraction for a woman and keeping a relationship a secret."

I smirk, satisfied that I have sparked an interest in her, and turn my attention to the stage, where the first of the two opening acts is about to start her set. As Rory said, I'm usually not into pop, so I'm not particularly interested in this part of the concert. What I am waiting for is for Sydney Grant to come out on stage and start singing. I've been waiting for years to see her again and now that I'm here I'm getting so impatient.

When the lights go down for the third time that night, I know it's time. I start screaming from the top of my lungs and soon Sydney Grant is on stage, all dark curls and sparkling dresses, making me forget about everything else in the world.

I sing and dance like no one's watching, even though I sometimes catch a glimpse of Rory with the corner of my eye, looking at me and smiling, but also swaying to the rhythm of the songs, and I'm glad she seems to be having a good time, despite Sydney's music not exactly being her cup of tea.