Chapter 7

THAT NIGHT, PETER HEARD A RUSTLE outside his tent

THAT NIGHT, PETER HEARD A RUSTLE outside his tent. When he looked out with his sword in hand, he saw Nick walking along the path to the top of the hill.

He sighed, putting his sword in the sheath before following her up. Nick sat at the top on the boulder, looking out at the other tents but her gaze fell on Cair Paravel.

She heard movement behind her, pulling out her sword and pointing it at the person.

She let out a sigh when she saw Peter with his hands held up in surrender.

"Sorry, I didn't see you there," she said, sitting back down and Peter sat down next to her.

"What are you doing up here so late?" He asked, looking at her as the moonlight illuminated her face.

"Can't sleep, what about you?" She asked and he sighed.

"I couldn't either, but I saw you so I thought we could talk," he said and she stood up, sitting on the grass. Peter looked at her confused as she lay down on the grass, eyes trained on the stars.

"Come on Sir Peter Wolfs-Bane,' she said sarcastically, turning to look st him and Peter laughed.

He sat down next to her, both of them lying down as they stared at the stars.

"Pick a star on the dark horizon, and follow the light," she whispered, turning to look at Peter and the two watched each other.

Their face were millimeters apart as he asked what she meant.

"Thats what my dad said every night before I went to bed when I was little. He said it was what my mum did, before she died," she said, fiddling with the ring that hung on a necklace around her neck.

"Is that your mums?" Peter asked and Nick sighed, looking at him sad.

"I'm sorry," he said and Nick brushed him off.

"No, it's fine. Yeah, it used to be my grandads, but I'm not sure about it anymore" she said.

She picked it up, taking it off her neck before showing it to Peter.

"Cume turbantur aslan saliere iubae, et non habetis, iterum vere," she said and Peter looked at her confused.

"It's inscribed in the ring, I think its Narnian," she said as she stared at it, curious. "I asked Beaver and he said that the High King and the High Queen rings went missing around the time the White Witch took over Narnia, he thinks this is one of them," Nick explained and Peter watched as she fiddled with it.

Peter pulled a small bag out of his pocket, feeling a circular object within it.

"What is that?" Nick asked as she saw it before she realised what she said,