Chapter 1

i

i. finally it seems my lonely days are through, I've been waiting for you

"DOMINIQUE?" A VOICE CALLED OUT as they knocked on her bedroom door. She groaned a little bit at the use of her full name.

Nick jumped up, opening the door. She leaned against the doorframe, book tucked under her arm as she looked at him.

"Morning Grandfather," she said and he smiled.

"Can I come in?" He asked and she nodded, watching as he sat on one of the two seats in the corner of her bedroom. "You know the war is heavy in large cities,"

She nodded her head, not understanding where this was going. He knew she was heavily invested in the war effort, donating food that they made, helping out at events. She couldn't do much but she always tried.

Proffesor Kirke sighed, looking at his granddaughter, "I been tasked with looking after four children from London. They will be staying with us,"

Nick was unsure what to think about the whole situation. Nothing like this had happened to her before.

Sure, she was happy that there was going to be other kids around but at the same time she was unsure whether they would be friends

"Ones your age, there's a 14 year old, 12 and 9." He finished and Nick took a deep breath, looking at her grandfather.

She nodded her head. Sometimes she did feel lonely in this big house and it would be nice to have some friends.

"Thats fine, when are they coming?" She asked and Proffesor Kirke let out a relived sigh that she was so okay with it.

"This Morning. Would you like to go with Mrs Macready?" He asked and she nodded her head, kissing her grandfather on the cheek before picking up her book.

"Of course," she said before walking out of the room.

"Macready will be outside in five," he yelled down and she put her thumb up, not noticing that he couldn't see it.

Mrs Macready was waiting at the door for her. She gave the young girl a smile before gesturing for her to come out.

Macready had been in her family for longer than she could remember. She had been her mothers best friend and the daughter of the maid and now she was running the whole house - Nick always saw her as an inspiration of whay a woman could do in this society.

She sat on the horse and buggy in the back, her book in her hand as she flipped through the pages aimlessly.

Nick tried to hide the nerves bubbling in her chest as she prepared to meet the new children.