Chapter 8

THE THREE RAN INTO THE SQUAREwhere four cyclops' carried a woman in a long white dress through the square, a sort of dwarf announcing the queen of Narnia and empress of the Lone Islands was here

where four cyclops' carried a woman in a long white dress through the square, a sort of dwarf announcing the queen of Narnia and empress of the Lone Islands was here.

They met up with Lucy and Susan who stood panicked. Aslan growled as she approached and she walked towards him, boos coming from the crowd.

She stared at Edmund and Nick stood protectively closer to him, eyeing the witch up as she turned away to Aslan.

"You have a traitor in your midst Aslan," She said and people murmured, eyes turning to Edmund.

"Don't worry, we won't let anyone take you," Nick said and he smiled up at her.

"His offence was not against you," Aslan said, looking at the White Witch.

"Have you forgotten the laws upon which Narnia was built?" She questioned and Aslan growled, silencing her instantly.

"Do not cite the Deep Magic to me, Witch. I was there when it was written," Aslan said in an ominous tone.

"Then you remember well, that every traitor belongs to me," The White Witch said and Aslan looked angry, or as frustrated as a lion can look.

"Try and take him then," Peter said, drawing his sword as he looked at Edmund.

Nick had her arms wrapped around his shoulders, making sure that he wasn't going anywhere, just like she promised. Peter stepped forward, challenging the White Witch but she just looked down at him in disgust.

"Do you really think that mere force will deny me my right, little King" she said.

She turned back to Aslan, Peter stopping back ashamed.

"Aslan knows that unless I have blood as the law demands, all of Narnia will be overturned, and perish in fire and water" she explained, turning to look at the crowd that had grown.

She turned back to Edmund, pointing a finger at him,

"That boy will die on the Stone Table," The White Witch exclaimed and Nick scoffed.

"You lay one finger on him you nasty piece of work and I swear-" Nick started to say but was cut off by her words.

"-As is tradition," The White Witch finished, glaring down at Nick.

"You dare not refuse me," the White witch said and Aslan stopped her.

"Enough, I shall talk with you alone," he said and he followed her into his tent, the two alone.

The crowd was silent and they sat there for a while, Edmund picking at grass.

"We aren't letting her take you Ed, okay," Nick said and he smiled.

"Thanks," he said and she chuckled, she was about to say something when Peter stood up, watching Aslan and a smirking White Witch exit the tent.

She stood for a while, walking away as she stared down Edmund.

Aslan turned to them, Nick with her arm wrapped around Edmunds shoulders again as he shook slightly in fear.

"She has renounced her claim on the Son of Adams blood," Aslan announced and Nick sighed, Peter pulling the three into a hug as the crowd cheered.

"How do I know your promise will be kept?" The white witch asked and Aslan roared, making her sit down instantly in fear, the whole crowd laughing and yelling at her.

Lucy hugged Edmund, the two laughing as Peter hugged Nick in celebration.

That night, Nick fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.

She was exhausted and as much as she wanted to watch the stars tonight, she passed our as soon as she lay down.

She didn't even hear Susan and Lucy sneak out that night to follow Aslan despite the numerous attempts to wake Nick up that failed miserably. She woke up the next morning to a solemn looking Peter shaking her awake.

"5 more minutes Macready,' she whispered, reaching her hand out and accidentally hitting Peter on the head.

Her eyes snapped open as she heard him let out a pained noise.

"I'm sorry Peter," she said, sitting up before noticing that Lucy and Susan were gone. "Whats going on?" Nick asked.

He took her hand, walking her out of the tent without saying a work.

"Damn it Peter, whats wrong?" She asked, worried and desperate as Peter and Edmund stood there.

"Aslan is dead, Susan and Lucy were with him," he explained and Nick gasped, covering her mouth with her hand before looking back at her tent.

"Tell the others, I'll meet you once I get dressed," she said and he nodded.

Nick walked back into the tent with her head hung low.

How did this happen?

As she got changed she wondered what had gone on between them and walked out to see Orieus, Edmund and Peter around a table.

"The dryad was right, hes gone," Peter said, looking up to see Nick walking towards them in a light blue dress, similar to yesterday's.

He stared at her for a second as the morning sun hit her face, illuminating the corseted dress with a long flower bottom.

"Eyes are up here Pevensie," she said and Edmund cackled, shutting up when Peter shot him an angry look.

Their faces all fell when they looked at the battle plans, remembering what was going on.

"What are we going to do now that Aslan is gone?" Peter asked, looking down at the table in sadness.

"You'll have to lead us," Edmund stated and Peter looked up at him confused. "Theres an army out there and it's ready to follow you," Edmund explained and Peter shook his head.

"I can't," he said with a quiet voice and Nick scoffed.

"Aslan believed you could, I believe you can," she said and he sighed.

"And so do I," Edmund said and Peter nodded.

Orieus looked down at the three, knowing that he was going to follow them wherever they told him to go.

"The witch's army is nearing, sire, what are your orders?" Orieus asked and Peter looked up with a stern, determined face.

He looked at the plan on the table, knowing what needed to be done as he smiled at Nick.

"I have an idea," he said and Nick chuckled.

"Thats a bad thing," she said and Edmund smiled, it was nice to see him smile after everything that had gone on.

1207 words