17. Envy us.

Chapter 17: We were inevitable, dear. The ever-rising sun shall envy us.

How boring.

I watched as Lady Eleonora walked into the green house once again. For the past few days, she's spent most of her time holed up in there. I wouldn't have minded too much, if...

"Oh, Avea. It's you." The droll sounding voice was from none other than Miss Ila. She gave me a smug face as she realized I had been staring at the greenhouse. "Why, what a loyal servant Lady Nora has found. Though who wouldn't be loyal to her? It's nothing special." She passed me by and I held back the urge to correct her. It's Lady Eleonora to you.

And she also made sure to remark me as unspecial. If only she knew the only reason she still had those burnt and calloused fingers attached to her hand was because Lady Eleonora liked her strawberry tarts.

"What is it, Avea? You aren't allowed inside? Is that why you're standing here like a little pet? Watch now, she'll let me in." She grinned at me, throwing an apple my way. I caught it without much effort. Oh, Lady Eleonora. If only you knew the true faces of your sweet-smiled servants. "I'll make sure to update you on how she's doing in there, Avea dear." Just as she took another step, she was stopped by a smooth voice.

"She won't."

Miss Ila turned around to glance at me. "What did you say?"

"Lady Eleonora won't let in you in." I played idly with apple in my hand.

"Oh? And you seem awfully confident."

"Yes," I looked away from the fruit, towards her eyes. My usual blank expression. "She told me she wouldn't."

Miss Ila just made a face. It probably mean watch me. So I did. I kept my expression and silence as usual as she knocked on the greenhouse door. Servants weren't allowed inside as to not break the lady's concentration, so the door was as far as she could go. Lady Eleonora opened the door with a smile, expecting Miss Ila to have come and she gracefully took the basket. Well, with as much grace as she could manage. Miss Ila said something and Lady Eleonora smiled, but before Miss Ila could speak another word, the lady turned her head back, looking as if she'd been called. Then she made an apologetic face to Miss Ila and that was it. Miss Ila knew she had to go.

Before Lady Eleonora turned to close the door, there it was. Her searching gaze towards me. Then her eyes lighting up when she saw me and her little wave. She acknowledged me in the cutest manner possible. When Miss Ila reached back, I was grinning.

What a good girl.

But then...

Ah. There it is again.

Lady Eleonora was off again. A horse ride with a knight-in-training called Raiden.

"If she wanted to ride a horse, even I could take her," I mumbled to myself, as I sat waiting by a chair and tea table. It wasn't necessary for me to be here, but I had already finished with all my tasks. It was because I wanted to spend some time with my little bunny but...

How boring.

The past few days had been nothing but boredom. In the kitchen with Miss Ila, in the stables with Raiden, and in the greenhouse with some other old woman. She's certainly been keeping busy, this little bunny of mine. At this rate, I would have already abandoned her but...

"Avea!" At the sound of her voice, I looked up, a little surprised. She was all I was thinking about after all. From the back of that black horse, although scared out of her might as she held on tightly to the other girl, Lady Eleonora turned around to wave at me with one nervous hand. "I'll be back soon! Try some of the apples, today's are my favourite!"