15. War music.

Chapter 15: Play some war music today cause you're going against the motherfuckin' world.

A bottle in hand, I threw the teleportation bead. It wasn't anything strong. I just felt like the visit would be better with it. When I blinked, I was in the forest, the moonlight illuminating everything just enough to seem magical instead of scary. Or maybe that was the sip.

At my sound, the fox sat up straighter, but something must have told it that it was me. It went right back to its usual lazed position. Or maybe it was a sad position. You can't tell the difference sometimes. It watched me and I gave it a smile before sitting by my usual spot.

"Did you miss me today?" I asked and stretched. "Sorry I wasn't here earlier. I'm quite late, aren't I?" It didn't make a sound, as usual and I watched it. "Did you think I'd stop coming?" It sniffed at the bottle and then pretended to sleep. "Were you sad?" I teased. No reply so I sighed. "Well, to be honest, at this point I think I need you more than you need me. I couldn't sleep, knowing we hadn't talked today. Not knowing how you were doing today."

The fox lifted its lids only slightly, still not looking at me. Instead it was looking at its paws, and the dirt beneath them. Well, I was used to silence. But there's only so long one can be silent for. In times like this, I begin to sing. I begin to talk to myself. Try to fill what's lacking. But it doesn't always compare to the real thing, does it? I always end up craving it. Real conversations, real vibes. And I learned its not something I can be blamed for. As they say, humans are social creatures. Some require it more; some require it less. But at some point, perhaps everyone wants someone they can be real with.

"My dad was called away today," I breathed in through my teeth. "Say he'll be back tomorrow. He's a funny guy, you know." I chuckled, remembering him.

"It feels strange knowing you have someone who just wants you around. Just you. Nothing else. So fucking strange." I played with my feet, idly moving them around. "'Have faith in yourself, Nora!'" I recalled what he said. "My daughter can win any game she wants to, and if she doesn't, it's fine.'" I laughed again. "He told me he'd win my games for me." I shook my head. "What a way to spoil someone." Then I looked down, letting out a breath. "But it's not so bad. Being spoiled sometimes."

"'If you ever feel down, I'll stand with you, to comfort you and encourage you until you feel better. Until you win the game.' It's what he told me." My eyes fell onto the fox. Under the moonlight, its golden eyes had an ethereal glow to them. It was finally looking at me. I watched it, head tilted back, leaning against the tree. Then I spoke.

"Hey. Should I do that for you?"

A wind blew by. It was a lonesome wind, just a one-time breeze but it was enough to sway our hair gently. I watched its fur dance like dominoes against its back. I tilted my head.

"I don't know why you're here, or why you're doing this to yourself but... you can lean on me, you know. Until you can stand on your own. You can use me." I let out a breath, a little smile of disbelief or irony. "I never thought I was capable of taking care of anyone but... I think I can manage now. Someone has my back. So I'll have your back. You can lean on me, little fox."

I thought I heard it let out a sound for the first time. I smiled at it. "What a brave little fox you are."

What a brave little fox you are. Sweet and small and you breathe even if its painful. Even if you feel you have no hope. What a brave little fox you are, even if it seems like such a small thing to you. It means the world to me. Thank you.

"Thank you." I murmured to it. "For having ice-cream with me that day."

If I said that the next morning was a huge surprise to me, it'll be an understatement for sure.