12. I still wonder.

Chapter 12: I still wonder. If it was a good thing that I met you.

It was finally the day of the meeting with the nobles. Nobility with property all over Ilaria were going to be visiting the estate today. I was so nervous, I could barely taste my breakfast and my dad chuckled at the sight, telling me that I looked like a scared little kitten. Alair and lady Atresia, who were both seated at the table with us glanced at us but I tried to ignore them and focus on dad's hand that was covering mine comfortingly.

"Today, I'll show you another favourite place of mine," he smiled at me. "Oriane has been itching to go there. Always turns her head when we pass that path."

I giggled softly, imagining Oriane fidgeting to go to a place. She seemed like such an arrogant horse but listened to dad well.

"Oriane?" Lady Atresia spoke. "What about her?"

"You know how I like to go on rides before making any big decisions. Helps me clear my head," dad replied, and I noticed Alair perk his eyebrows with interest. "I'm teaching Nora to do the same."

Alair made an 'oh' sound, bringing everyone's attention to him. He wiped his red lips in a flustered manner, as if he hadn't meant to do that and gave us a little smile. "That's so nice. I was just thinking... well, just about how I wished I also had such opportunities." Alair broke eye contact for just a moment to look down. "My father did mention a place he liked, but never got to take me..."

Oh, damn.

"Oh dear!" Lady Atresia cried out with sympathy.

Dad and I were silent, not really knowing what to say to such a sad thing but then Lady Atresia looked at us desperately. "Brother! You must take him! Wouldn't it be nice to bring this sweet young man along with you today?"

"My dear..." Dad looked at us awkwardly. "Today is a big day for my daughter; this is for her, I hope you understand."

"Oh, no!" Interrupted Alair, looking desperate and hurt. "I hadn't meant for- no, marquess, I didn't mean such a thing! I know how important family bonding is, and how fathers teach their children such special things. I hadn't meant to sound so... so... lonely. I apologize..."

Ouch. I felt something in my heart at this other-worldly acting. For a second I really had forgotten that he was acting, I mean he looked ready to cry there, with how soft his eyes looked. The hurt seemed so real.

Of course, it wasn't but dad...

"Oh goodness," Lady Atresia put a hand to her chest as if she'd just heard about someone losing their entire fortune. It was actually a sad thing to hear and she looked at us again.

Troubled, dad glanced at me and I held back a sigh. I nodded at him, giving him the go ahead and he gave me a tender smile.

"Why don't you come with us, Alair?"

A little convincing and the smile that followed on the villain's face...

It looked like it could light up the entire world. His lips moved gracefully, eyes curving in an attractive manner, showing an expression so beautiful and I thought to myself, oh dear...

Apollo would fall down in an instant, for you.

...So who are we?

Icarus, no doubt. A helpless little laugh left under my breath, heard by no one. We are Icarus, flying too close to the sun and you guys don't even know it.

Not that I would let us fall.

I twisted my brows in an irked manner and tilted my head.

It's quite annoying having people you have to care for. I don't like having to think so much.