3. Darling, you never had a chance.

Chapter 3:

Darling, you never had a chance.
So... don't bother running from me.

"Nora, come here, my dearest."

At my father's beckoning, I walked into his office. He was sitting on one of the couches, set there for his meetings, and the rays of sunlight coming through the giant glass wall cast such a lovely glow on him. I smiled warmly without even realizing as I made my way to him.

"What's my favourite man up to?" I asked, murmuring the question as I placed a soft kiss on his temple and sat beside him on the couch.

"Just looking for ways to keep you thinking of me, so that you wouldn't forget your old man with how busy he's been," he replied, as smoothly as ever. Honestly, how did Nora's mother ever survive? I clicked my tongue.

"As if you even have to try? How could I forget such a smooth-talker? Now be honest, how many women did you have charmed before you met my mother?" I leaned in, listening for his answer.

His eyes almost popped out at my question and I had to hold back a laugh. The difference between Eleonora and I was probably how I had no trouble teasing him. He reminded me of Caeles, when it came to this. It was just too much fun to watch their reactions. Oh, the satisfaction.

He looked away, stuttering a little as his ears burned a soft shade of pink. He had it coming, to be honest. A man this good with words could only be trouble. My poor mother.

"Listen here, my girl. What does the past matter? I have only ever truly loved one woman, and that was your mother. Anyway, I've called you here for a reason today."

I noticed the truly added into his answer and couldn't help my smirk. He saw me and looked even more frazzled before clearing his throat and calling for his aide. His aide arrived with a box in his hand, and I raised my eyebrows curiously. My dad called to my attention before I could ask about it.

"Nora, you must have been missing me dearly, with how busy I have been. I must apologize, I have had far too much work to catch up to. You must have been lonely, just like I have been." He spoke as if he had been preparing this speech for a while, and unfortunately for him, it only made me want to tease him further.

"I don't know. I've been fine, really. There's a lot of fun things to do all around." I shrugged, a half smile playing on my lips. It only grew further when I saw him furrow his brows helplessly.

"More fun than meeting with me? Your father?" He asked, his strong tone decreasing, looking as if he wasn't expecting that. Oh, I could barely hold in my laugh, but I also realized I should really stop teasing him. I shook my head, full on grinning now. Ah, what an adorable old man. How did I get so lucky?

"Could there be such a thing? I can't breathe without seeing you, and my sun doesn't shine until I have spoken to you. How could there be anything more important to me than spending my time with you?" I spoke passionately, imitating his manner of speech. I noticed the smile threatening his twitching lips and he cleared his throat as if snapping himself to attention.

"...You certainly have a way with words," He mumbled and I shook my head.

"Not like you, my dear father."

At my reply, he reached forward quickly and pinched my cheek. I blinked in surprise and he spoke. "What a cheeky little girl. These two women always know how to swing me around their fingers," He mumbled.

We giggled together before he turned towards his aide and took the box, which he handed to me. "What is it?" I thought as I placed it on my lap. It was a big box, and I could feel something inside. I opened it to see a little black kitten with a pretty red ribbon around its neck. My mouth fell open.