chapter three: ambiguous talk

Scarlett.

Of course that was her name. Red hot fiery crimson much like her nature.

He was infatuated by his curiosity.

"Well, it's a pleasure to officially meet you, Scarlett."

"Likewise, Mr. Styles."

"Call me Harry."

"Harry." Fuck, his name sounded so good coming from that mouth.

His gaze was glued to it and he had to tear his eyes away and resist the urge to lean down and taste it.

"What do you do for a living, Scarlett?"

"I manage a record store."

"You like music?"

She shrugged, "I was in desperate need of a job when I moved here so I took it. It pays well and it's relatively easy work. So, aside from being a bar owner, what do you do?"

He pursed his lips in thought. "I collect things."

"Collect things? What kind of things?"

"Things that intrigue me."

He was hesitant to reveal too much about himself, it was purely embedded in his nature. He was vague, an aspect of himself caused by past experiences. He kept people at arm's length, and it was for a good reason.

"That sounds ominous." She commented on his vague answer. Collected things? Like comic books?

He smiled at that, seemingly pleased at her observation. He hoped she would pick up on how private he was. He tired of explaining that to women, they always wanted to get to know him, try to change him. And there was nothing he found more of a turn off than that.

"Your rings are really pretty." She blurted out, admiring his strong hands littered in jewelry.

"Wait till you see how pretty they look with my hand wrapped around your throat."

Scarlett felt her core clench at his words. She didn't even know how to respond to that but he beat her to it.

"Would you like that, sweetheart? To have my hands on you like that?"

"I barely know you." She said but knew she'd do just about anything this man asked. It didn't answer his question per se but told him that she was aroused and intrigued by him. The way her expression was soft and warm, much like one worn by a woman turned on or even post-orgasm. It was an expression he knew all too well.

"Trust me, that's a good thing." He smirked with a claim.

She frowned at his words. His demeanour was already hazy and hard to read and he was saying things that only clouded it further when her aim was to get to know him.

He gulped the rest of his drink and noted that her glass was also empty. He pulled back the silky curtain that divided them from the bar and signaled to a waitress who came immediately.

"Get Ben over here for me, love." He ordered.

"Right away, Mr. Styles."

Scarlett watched the waitress depart and head to the bar, leaning over it and tapping the bartender's shoulder. The one she'd been suggestive with the past two nights. So his name was Ben. He nodded and looked over to the booth and saw Scarlett, smiled, but then saw his boss with her and it quickly fell.

He went to them, per Harry's request, and stood politely but his nostrils flared at the fact that the pretty girl he'd been thinking of nonstop had been swiped up by Harry fucking Styles.