chapter fourteen: ares

(c.w - violent, sexual content)

"He's here." Sebastian had informed Harry.

It wasn't what he wanted to hear, especially at this kind of event, and especially with Scarlett present. He could hardly fucking believe it, but then again, the lengths this man would go through shouldn't have been surprising. "Shit."

He could sense Scarlett's concern and tried to play it cool but he could already feel the red hot anger seeping from his pores, poisoning his veins.

"Is everything okay?"

"Let's go sort this out." Harry was pissed but figured it wouldn't take long so he could get back to his party and get back to her. "Stay here. We'll be right back."

He didn't wait for her response, assumed by the confusion and mild fear in her eyes that she'd listen to him. If fucking only.

The three sauntered towards the room where Sebastian had directed the problem, not wanting a confrontation at the party in front of everyone. Xander and Sebastian flanked Harry, quickly checking their guns concealed in their waistbands, ready to grab them, if it came to it.

"Fire security since they can't do their fucking job." Harry snarled. How did he even get past them?

The small room held a large couch, and a vintage lamp, some fancy rug that once belonged to some European monarch. Harry hadn't done much else with it, reserving the walls for some of the most prized paintings he'd collected. He liked to sit on that couch with a glass of whiskey and admire them from time to time.

A sourness took over his senses when he entered the room and was faced with someone he really, really hated dealing with. Sat on his couch, staring at his art that he worked hard to acquire.

"Zayn."

Zayn Malik. A former employee since last year, when the cocky weasel figured out how to start making his own money. He quit as soon as he could. Now, he walked all over everyone and thought he was above Harry, treating him like dirt and demanding too much. He was hotheaded and outspoken, his approach far too direct for Harry's liking, but like he said, cocky.

Harry couldn't blame him though, he was the same after he'd made his first million.

Through the annoyance of his presence, he could sense that same envy that Zayn always harboured. He'd always longed for whatever Harry had, and that knew no bounds. His jealously deemed him dramatic and impulsive.

Zayn had a few of his guys with him, and they stood idle in the corner of the room, wearing matching glares.

"Hey, Harry."

"How did you get past security?" Xander question from behind him.

"Slipped them a few bills." Zayn shrugged.

Harry made a note to question those fuckers later. He paid them more than enough to protect him and those at the party- how could a few hundred dollars deter them from that?

"Think my invitation got lost in the mail." Zayn quipped with an amused expression. He spread his legs and leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees as he looked up at Harry.

Harry sneered. "Feeling left out?"

"No. I'm expecting my money."

"That's what you came here to tell me?"

"Not a good look to see you partying when my payment is running late. You're slacking."

"I've been busy."