Ch. 21: Meeting the female cubs

A vibrant and sunny sky was what I was now squinting at. Scratch that, the sun's glare made me switch my view to the shiny river. Mostly all the females that were once bathing are now napping. Including my mama who is showing a provocative smile to someone in her dream. I don't wanna know which papa she's dreaming of. Sigh, I'm bored. Hum, my ears twitch to noises coming from the grassier area. Sounds like two beasts, oh, it's that golden-eye female and another female.  

Getting up from the warm grass, I waddle over to the two teens. "Oh this is lovely, should I add yellow flowers to it?" asks one of the females. "Maybe, what about mine, should I mix it up with purple flowers?" says the other.  "Wait, I hear someone coming." The two females turn around, see me, sigh in relief, and beckon me over to them. Standing closer, I see that there is a pile of different colored flowers on the ground and some on each of their hands. It appears that they might be eating those flowers or making something out of them. "The white flower's don't have much of a taste," I comment. Both of them blink and quietly laugh. "No, no" waves the golden eye female, "come, sit first and we'll tell you what we're making." 

When I finally sat in a soft place in front of them, leaving the pile of flowers in the middle, the almond colored skin female teen began, "my name is Elena, and I'm a panther beast female." Touching one of her black curls, she nods at the other female. A beige skin, friendly hazel eye female pulls her cinnamon medium wavy hair out of the way and proudly announces with erect fluffy brown ears, "my name is Natasha, I'm a wolf half-female." Seeing their welcoming introductions, I say "I'm a bear half-female and my name is Suki." "Nice to finally meet you Suki," gushes Natasha. "Yes, I've been wanting to ask you about that day," says Elena. 

What day? Seeing the confusement in my eyes, Elena vocally recalls the play fight the male cubs had with each other and how some of them ended up smelling ghastly. Though embarrassing as it was for me that day, I told them from my personal view of how everything went down. "Wait, so the skunk cub is now part of your family?" asks the two bewildered teens. I nod my head happily, "yeah, Radu traveled alone so now he lives with us." Woa exclaims Elena. While the oldest, Natasha studies me for a bit, notices my gleeful toddler eyes, shakes her head, and then pats me on the head with a sigh. 

 What came out of her mouth then was surprising. "Though I like Cruz and Bruce..., " pauses Natasha with a blush and a slight wagging of her tail. "It's good that he got knocked down a bit." That's a totally different topic from what we were talking about, I think. Elena nods gravely, "yeah, they were getting as cocky as Bronco." Bronco? "Do you mean that loud redhead male?" I ask. "The one and only" grins Natasha. She then leans toward me and makes an over dramatic gesture of whispering in my ear, "despite Elena being a panther beast, you'll know she's there because Bronco's booming voice isn't so far behind." I giggle while Elena rolls her eyes, "he can get annoying but... it's attractive." she mumbles. I give her a flat stare, doesn't she mean distracting? Slightly blushing, Elena clears her throat and says, "oh right, let's me show you what we're making." Natasha snorts but doesn't say anything else. 

Looking at their hands, I see that Elena is holding white, pink and yellow flowers, while Natasha is holding purple and yellow flowers. "We're practicing on making floral head wreaths," says Elena with a bright smile. Natasha nods and tenderly holds onto her wreath, "this is so that the males know that we're single." "It's also worn by the interested female during the Fire Mating Ceremony," adds Elena in a dreamy voice. That name sounds familiar, but I ask "do I need to wear it?" Both Elena and Natasha giggle,"nooo, not yet silly, you're still too young." I tilt my head, "but you're cubs too." Natasha snorts and Elena slightly reddens. "I, uh, we, uh, already went through our first phase and have now hit the tens." Still not understanding, Natasha examines me. "How many months are you Suki?" I try to remember what my mama said, "I think I'll be four months soon." Hmmm hums Natasha. "And have you been hungrier than usual?" asks the oldest teen. "Yes!, how do you know?" I'm baffled. Elena and Natasha look at each other and grin. "We went through something similar, it's called going through the first phase," gleefully responds Elena. Natasha nods seriously, "soon you'll be looking like the little cubs that were in that play fight the other day." Before she could explain further, they were called. 

"Elena! let's go back" yells a female. Soon after another voice calls out for Natasha. "Oh gotta go," says Elena, "see you soon!" she screams back as she runs toward an older female. "Yeah, see you at Healer Liam's class," says Natasha as she quickly pats my head and trots over to another female. Shortly a head pops out of the taller grass. "That was so adorable my cute cub," gushes Lucy. When did mama get here? Wait, was she here the whole time? After quickly brushing some grass out of her hair, Lucy takes one of the purple flowers and places it behind her cubs ear. "Suki, what they said was correct. You'll soon be going through what we call The First Phase. It's where you'll stop looking like a toddler and start looking like what the Unique One calls eight-year olds. According to her, after each winter we should add a year to the eight. Meaning that when you hit the tens, you'll be able to start wearing a beautiful crown of flowers." While saying all the previous, Lucy has lifted her cub to her chest and has walked over to the tree branches. "For now, let's put our cloths back on and head home".  

---------

Authors Note:

 Thank YOU guys and gals sooo much for giving my book a chance 💖