{ Chapter Eight }

Months of agony passed. The cold bitter winters of brittle fingers and splitting ends was soaked in a dragon's firey breath. The sun was yellow again. The trees had begun to dance in green once more. From ash rose the phoenix. Spring was here, Ostara.

Yet Eva still felt as empty as a block of ice. Her hair had begun to thin, eyes sunken. Although her body grew strong, her abilities manifesting with control, she felt more confused about herself than ever.

Edana worked behind Eva, sinching her into a proper corset. Today, as Ben was crowned king, Eva was exposed to the kingdom as his White Witch.

This was something that hadn't been done at a corronation in over two hundred years. It used to be custom for each King to have a white witch as a right hand. But once they disappeared, it became a king's more broad choice.

Today, Eva would blanch history.

Which made Edana all the more enclosed on Eva's appearance.

Ben had requested Eva be dressed in black and gray, as to match him she assumed. Edana did her best, finding a flowing black skirt with thigh high slits on either side to match her black iron corset that was custom to the white witch women. Final touches included black thigh stockings, leather half sleeves and another white witch tradition; a blessed iron disdem that hung low across her eyebrows.

"You look like a warrior," Edana smiles, happy with how tight she had gotten the iron corset.

"I look like a drawing from a history book," Eva comments, looking over herself in slight disbelief.

"Well I've never seen a white witch in my time either. But you look as real as they came. Here, sit, let me do your hair."

Eva followed mindlessly, sitting herself on a creeky wooden chair as Edana wove winding waves behind Eva's head.

Moments like this in Edana's presence calmed and centered Eva. She was the only other contact Eva had in the castle and Edana was always so sweet and motherly with her. She wondered how the poor woman had dealt with Ben for so many years.

"You don't need to pout, dear. After today, everything will be different. You wont have to hide anymore."

"How can you be so sure he wont lock me away until he needs me on a battle field?" Eva sighs.

"There are many duties to this, Eva. You will see."

"I'm barely excited. In fact I think I might vomit."

"Well, don't do it on those boots. Theyre hard to clean."

Edana patted Eva's drooping shoulders. "All set!"

Eva stayed put as Edana began scurrying to make her leave. "Good luck, I will be cheering for you."

Just as Edana made her leave, another man entered. A fire born, Eva noted straight away. She hadn't met the man before and became slightly panicked. Did Ben know someone would be here?

"Evening, your wickedness, I was asked to retrieve you."

Turning and standing from her noisey chair, Eva rose with nervous purpose.

She could recognize him now as a friend of Ben's, one she had seen around the stables a few times. It made sense he would be the first to be exposed to her.

Straightening out her shoulders, Eva lent out a hand.

"I'm Eva," she tells him with all the confidence she needed to call upon.

"Henry, I am the King's lieutenant."

"We shall be seeing much of each other then," Eva nods, noting his gray military suit.