{ Chapter Five }

A ghost in the silence.

Eva felt herself dwindling away.

It had been a few weeks now since she had given into Ben and his demands to train her.

She spent her days in a locked training room, sometimes alone and sometimes with Ben to observe or instruct. He didn't just work and push her to test her power, but demanded much from her physically along side it all. She ran for lengths until she collapsed. She lifted and dropped and swung, learning to fight.

Eva could see it, the admirable gleam in his eye as Ben viewed his weapon growing stronger.

Each day the thought of slicing his throat became more real.

Although she found his presence unpleasant and troubling, she could not faulter against the constant realization that he was strangly handsome to her. But that notion had to be stomached and forgotten quickly. There were bigger things at hand than stupid attraction.

Eva could feel it, too, as her body worked. The power inside that pushed her, the lightning that took over her limbs when her human muscles gave way. She held exceptional stamina.

Ben had begun to notice a small glowing glint that ran from under shirt to her neck when this happened as well. The source of her power came from her core. Whereas, the darkness in him came from his mind.

He barely showcased his own powers against the girl, finding it useless until she truly knew how to summon it on whim. The only thing, so far, that conjured the magic was pain.

"I'll do it," Eva spat, shoulders back and high, chin raised to Ben's great height.

"Do what?" He questioned, closing his chamber door behind him.

Eva had jumped at his entry from the couch, clearly waiting for his presence.

"Let you teach me," she clarified. Her mouth, stiff and pursed, failed to give way to any favor in this decision. This was survival for her-and he would gladly take that into his hands. No matter, she was complying.

"I knew you would come around," he nods slightly, a sly gleam of hope in his face.

Ben knew she would choose to live. He knew of her, in a way he could not understand, and he knew her will to survive would outweigh all morality. He was playing his cards the best way he could.

Eva now had a small room that she used as her own, a luxury granted by Ben that she received with her acceptance. Although, it was locked and guarded when she was left alone within. She was still untrustworthy, a prisoner. But Eva tried her best to break through Ben's precaution with her.

The pair stood a few feet from eachother as Eva stood panting, double swords in hand over bent knees. Ben stood in wait, watching the exhaustion over take her. Auburn hair stuck with sweat to the sides of her face, cheeks flush, neck blazing with power beneath her tan riding shirt.

"You're learning well," he comments, unable to help the small positivity from leaving his usually wound lips.

Eva looked up to meet his eyes and stuck her tongue out at him, feeling as though his calm, barely worked body mocked hers. He held back a laugh at her.

Her attitude, her fire, continued to be ever present in their lessons, despite her eagerness to learn. Ben had a feeling it was just a piece that came with all the resting power inside of her. She had passion and the force to back it.

Although he viewed with admiration, Ben turned from her with a sudden cold shoulder.

"Now that you are fully exhausted, I think a run around the gardens might be fitting."