{ Chapter Nineteen }

"Breathe in," Ben whispers against the crown of Eva's head. He watched from above as her eyes fluttered in their closed state, mind focused.

They sat a bit farther into the woods of the Lucia's acres. Eva was poised between a sprout of towering trees, legs bent on the earth, palms to the sky, as Ben kneeled at her back to guide her.

They were using diluted shots of the toad tea to help guide Eva in meditation as Ben had learned from  Solanyn. She had been reluctant at first but eventually decided to go for it. She hadn't reconnected with her powers since their fall back to physicality & felt a responsibility to check on herself.

The rest of the previous afternoon on magic tea with Eva's family went fine. Sarah found her familial animal, which was amusing for everyone as she clung to the large scaling fire lizard with excited nerves. Eva and Ben mostly kept their distance from each other, Ben meditating as Eva went to go console her brother and bring him back to the group.

Persei had spent all of his time crying at Tally's grave, the tear in his soul from her loss unrelenting on his mind and body. It was the first time Eva had seen him cry over her and it gave her a shock of forewarning. What if Ben changed his mind? Would she be this hurt? Would it feel the same, watching Ben's soul die and leave nothing but darkness behind?

She too began to cry, making Persei confused, turning to comfort his sister.

When they returned, the four reconnected with their physical bodies. It had taken a great toll on all of them and one by one Freja helped move them to a resting place inside. She nursed them with cool water and let their minds wonder into subconcious sleep.

It took only a day for Persei to rise and go back for more, this time focusing on his physical self. Sarah joined him shortly, and the two began wondering the forest together.

When Eva awoke she sat herself at Ben's side, waiting for him to awaken, afraid of wasting another precious moment before their life went up in flames.

He took almost a day and a half, head pounding. The pair chugged water together, eating some food, when Ben suggested the mediation instead.

Now, as they sat out in the woods together, Eva could feel the benefits. She could feel the power source in her, the lower end of her spine igniting and then relaxing into submission at her willfull thought. She practiced this with her breathing, Ben guiding her with reminders and touches of encouragment.

His one hand rested on her lower back, feeling the change in pulse as she moved her power with skill. It was so easy for her, he was a bit suspicious.

"Can I show you something?" She smiles, letting out another deep breath, her neck arching back to look up at Ben behind her.

He nods, face stoic as ever, as Eva shifts in front of him. She gets onto her knees, picking up a bunch of leaves and twigs. She lets the bits rest on her palms, taking a large inhale. A white sheen of light curved atop her palm, sizzling the items. When she exhaled, all that was left was dust.

"How did you learn to refocus so well?" Ben asks, unable to help his curiosity.

"Your mother taught me. Well, she trained me for a bit. Before I came to.. help you, I was with her."

His face twists, "she doesn't know anything about magic," he dismisses.

"Clearly she taught me something," Eva defends. "In fact, she taught me more than you had in months."