42 - healing

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

Third Person POV

"R-Renee?"

Hearing the sound of Maddox's voice again was a shock to Renee's system. She felt as though she couldn't trust her own senses as she stood sandwiched between the door frame and the half opened door, eyes wide. The atmosphere was silent for a moment, aside from the steady beeping of the heart monitor, confirming that Renee was not imagining a single thing that was taking place.

She had thought out every scenario that could've played out when Maddox awoke, and yet this wasn't one she prepared herself for. Her knees buckled beneath her as her eyes welled up with tears, watching as Maddox rubbed his eyes tiredly, the IV in his arm slightly limiting his range of motion. His eyes opened slowly once again as they met Renee's watery ones, silent tears beginning to run down her face.

Closing the door softly behind her, Renee quickly made her way towards the hospital bed as if afraid Maddox would disappear within seconds.

She leaned down to kiss him on the cheek, not wanting to overwhelm him as he hadn't been awake for more than a minute or two. Immediately though, Maddox placed his hand on her face and pulled it down to his own, pressing his lips onto hers. He kissed her gently with all the energy he could muster up, as Renee's tears fell onto his face, the droplets rolling down his cheeks.

Pulling away, Maddox wiped her tears away with the pad of his thumb, resting his hand on the curve of her jaw.

"I've missed you... " Renee choked out, causing Maddox to smile softly.

"Don't cry, pretty girl." He tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear as Renee sniffled.

Without thinking, Renee moved to hug Maddox, suddenly jerking away as she remembered the extent of the injuries concentrated in his chest.

"It's alright, come here." Maddox reassured.

   Cautiously, Renee wrapped her arms around his neck as he moved his around to her back, hugging her snugly. Making sure not to lean onto his chest, Renee laid her head in the crook of his neck, smiling against the warmth of his skin as he rubbed her back soothingly.

"I love you," Maddox said, breaking the comfortable silence.

"I love you more," Renee placed a single kiss behind his ear, slowly unraveling her arms from around his neck and standing up straight.

"I'm gonna' go get the doctor to check you over, be right back." She said after a moment of reflection.

Maddox watched as Renee left the room, leaving the door ajar as she walked down the hall in search for the doctor. He took a deep breath, feeling extremely grateful to even be alive.

When he was being rushed into the hospital, how long ago he wasn't sure as his memory was still foggy, Maddox had been slipping in and out of consciousness. In the moments of awareness he had felt as he was rolled through the hospital doors on a stretcher, he believed his life was coming to an end. The pain washed over his body in constant waves, overpowering his thoughts and senses.

   As Maddox came to accept that he was dying, he only wished he could've said goodbye to those he loved one last time, and not in such horrible condition. He knew he was lucky to have survived this, and couldn't be more thankful he was able to be saved.