6 - connection

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

*Edited*

Maddox POV

"Go on a date with me."

The words just slipped past my lips, but in no means did I regret my request.

    Somehow, ever since I first laid my eyes on Renee, I knew it was going to be hard to stay away from her. After one short conversation with her this morning, I've come to discover how kind and soft-spoken she is. Her aura couldn't be described with any other word but angelic.

    I find myself extremely drawn to her, and I barely know this girl. I don't want her to just walk out of my life after this singular encounter. Although I'm unsure of many things right now, I know that I want to learn more about her.

I want to really know her.

I want to have the hope that our meeting wasn't a simple coincidence, that it was more than that.

I've never believed in fate or any of that shit, but I began to wonder if this was a version of it. And I'll be damned if I let it slip through my fingers.

Renee's eyebrows raised upon hearing my unexpected question. She was clearly shocked, and began to cough as she placed her quarter-eaten piece of bacon back onto her plate.

Fuck, a few minutes in and I made her choke.

New record, I thought, mentally cursing myself at the idiotic joke I'd made in my head.

Her eyes watered as she placed a hand on her chest, swallowing visibly.

"Bacon...went down the wrong way..." She said quietly, her cheeks turning pink.

I turned and grabbed a small glass from one of the cabinets, filling it with filtered water from the refrigerator.

I chuckled, handing her the glass of water.

"You okay?"

Renee smiled shyly, taking a sip of the water.

Placing the glass down on the table and taking a deep breath, she spoke.

"I'll go out with you."

She looked up at me, pushing a strand of hair out of her face before looking back down at her plate and taking a bite of the eggs.

I smiled as I watched her eat for a second, tapping my fingers on the table subconsciously.

"Sounds like a plan," I responded, running a hand through my tousled hair.

    Renee nodded silently at me, a soft smile across her lips. We sat in a comfortable silence for a bit, me munching on a few pieces of bacon as she finished her breakfast. She paced herself as she ate, taking sips of water every so often.

   Renee ate neatly, finishing everything on her plate. I was happy to see that she actually liked what I made. More often than not, I ordered food and had it delivered. Cooking was a basic skill that I was capable of though, just in case.

She wiped around her mouth with a napkin, placing it and the fork on her empty plate, and rising from her seat.

"Where can I put these?" Her soft voice questioned as she stood in her spot.

Renee was extremely polite, and kept her tone of voice gentle and just loud enough to hear clearly. I smiled at her as we made eye contact.

"Don't worry, I got it." I walked over to her and carefully took the glass plate and utensils from her hands, making sure not to drop them.

"Thank you!" She exclaimed, pushing her chair in beneath the table.

   Placing the dish and fork in the sink, I threw the napkin into the garbage before returning to the dining room. Renee pulled all of her long, wavy hair to one side as she leaned against the back of a chair while looking around the house.

   I came to realize that she would need time throughout the day to get ready, and I most definitely needed the time to plan this date out. This was new territory for me.

I've really never been on an "official", for lack of a better word, date before.

  Dating has never really been for me. Somehow, meeting Renee has changed that. I'd never found the right person to properly date and express my feelings to, let alone have real, lasting interest in.

The magnetism within me towards this girl made me hopeful for something more.

I walked up to and in front of her as to not startle her as she looked around in silence.

"Hey, is it alright if I drive you home? I have a date to plan." I winked.

She giggled, rolling her green eyes at me. The sound of her laughter was melodious, something I'd pay to hear again and again.

"Yeah, we can go." She replied, nodding.

"Just one second," I grabbed my shirt off the chair it was resting on, swiftly pulling it over my head.

"Follow me," I grabbed my car keys and Renee walked behind me to the front door and down the steps.

As I opened the car door for her, Renee slipped into the passenger's seat, saying a quick thank you. I took my seat and started the car.

"What's your address?" I asked, tapping the car's console to reach the GPS app.

"250 16th Street."

   I swiftly put the address into the GPS and we were on our way. Renee sat silently while playing with her fingers and looking down. She continued to fidget with her fingers, and I hoped she wasn't uncomfortable.

   I shifted gears, my hand accidentally grazing against hers. While there, I took one of her hands, pausing her fidgeting for a moment. It was a risk, and I practically held my breath, praying that I wouldn't scare her off.

   Her hand was so small compared to mine, and feeling the softness of her hand against mine made me feel strangely warm inside. Renee looked down at my hand holding hers, before looking up at me, her smile reaching her bright eyes.

   I gently squeezed her hand for a second before pulling mine away, not wanting to make her feel weird. We didn't know each other well, and it was already easy for me to forget that. Somehow, I feel as if I've known her for much longer than I really have.

I drove up to her house, parking in front. Renee went to open the car door to get out, but I stopped her.

"Wait, wait," I called, causing her to look at me confusedly.

"Let me."

      I walked around to her side of the car and opened the door for her, grabbing her hand and helping her out. She laughed at how enthusiastic I'd been to open the door for her, and I could've sworn I saw her eyes light up at my gesture. We walked up the steps to her home. Standing in front of the door, I looked into her eyes.

   I could drown just in the intensity of looking into her beautiful green eyes. I gently placed my hand on her upper arm, craving some kind of contact. At our close proximity I could smell the scent of my Old Spice body wash that enveloped her.

"Be ready at 7, I'll be here."

"I will," She grinned, pulling her house key out of her back pocket. I waved at her and she waved back, as I turned on my heel and made my way back to my car.

I made sure to watch and see that she entered her house safely. I got into my car and drove down her street, dialing a familiar number into the car's console.

"Hello?"

"Hey, I need your help."

"Of course, what's up?"

"How do you plan a date?"