18 - okay

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

Third Person POV

"I'm the leader of the Italian Mafia."

     Renee froze for a moment, in shock. Maddox  looked down and cursed under his breath. Telling her about this was nerve wracking for him. She was already such a big part of his life, and losing her scared him. Nothing scared Maddox; with his lifestyle he had to be fearless. But the thought of losing Renee scared him to death.

     After a few seconds, Renee took a deep breath and rubbed his shoulder. Maddox looked up at her, expecting her to be afraid of him. However, the look in her eyes was of love and understanding. Renee opened her mouth to speak, but Maddox raised his hand to stop her.

"Shh. One second."

He paused, taking in the fact that he didn't screw up the one most important thing in his life. It was okay.

"I can't tell you that what I do is safe. But I can promise you that I'll protect you with my life. I need you, just..."

Renee cut Maddox off by placing a soft kiss on his lips. He came out of his state of surprise and kissed her back. She slowly pulled away and placed a finger to his lips, keeping him quiet so she could speak.

"I trust you. This doesn't change anything."

"Thank God. I don't want to lose you, Renee."

"You won't."

Maddox smiled widely.

"The men that were here, they were the ones that attacked me."

"I'm so sorry, love. I should've paid more attention, I didn't realize."

"Why were they here?"

"They owed us money for weaponry. They stole your bracelet to pay us back. Assholes."

Maddox was clearly becoming angry, solely at himself. He was mad that he didn't recognize the threat sooner. He was mad that Renee could've been in danger. It hurt Maddox to know that he put her in that situation.

"Hey hey, calm down. I'm okay."

"I just hate myself for not realizing that you were in danger. I need to keep you safe."

"Nothing happened to me, everything is okay."

"I know. I'll do better."

Maddox wrapped Renee in a warm hug, an audible sigh of relief passing through his lips. He rubbed her back gently, smiling. There was nothing else he needed at this moment, besides her. And that was perfectly okay with him.

"Do you want to go to bed, princess? Unless you have more questions."

Maddox asked, seeing Renee yawn. He knew she was exhausted but didn't want to cut her off from asking questions. He wanted her to know that he would be entirely open with her, and that he wasn't avoiding her questions.

"I think that's it for now. I'm tired,"

She sighed, slowly running her fingers over her forehead. Maddox began to unmake the bed, motioning for Renee to get in. He made sure she was comfortably tucked in and stood beside her. She looked up at him in confusion before he spoke.

"Do you want me to sleep in here? Because I can always sleep on the couch if you're more comfortable with that."

Renee's heart melted at his words. He was always so considerate, even with things she didn't think twice about. Of course she wanted him to stay with her, but him being so respectful made her feel loved.

"Lay down, Maddox."

Maddox shut off the light before walking to the other side of the bed, laying down. The two turned on their sides to look at each other, leaning into the middle of the bed. Renee's emerald eyes still seemed to twinkle in the darkness of the room. Maddox admired her for a second before brushing a strand of hair out of her face and tucking it behind her ear.

He gave her a relaxed smile, running his thumb back and forth across her cheek. Noticing her starting to fall asleep, Maddox lightly ran his fingers along her arm, causing tingles to erupt on Renee's skin beneath his fingertips. Renee felt at ease as she drifted asleep. Maddox kissed her on the forehead, becoming drowsy himself.

"Goodnight, my love."

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

     The following morning, Renee woke up and tried to stretch, but to no avail. Rubbing the sleep out of her eyes, she saw that Maddox was holding her. She felt warm and safe. Maddox's arm was wrapped around her waist, holding her close. Their legs were intertwined. She giggled; they couldn't possibly be any closer than they were at that moment.

     Renee looked at the time on Maddox's digital clock, which was sitting on his night stand next to the bed. It read 10:00 A.M. Renee began to squirm a bit in Maddox's hold, wanting to go to the bathroom and make breakfast for him. She continued to move a bit, and froze for a second when Maddox stirred.

    He groaned, subconsciously pulling her even tighter against him. Renee laughed before turning enough in his hold to face him. She softly poked his bicep. Maddox slowly opened his eyes, Renee only seeing a flash of his gray eyes before he buried his head in the crook of her neck.

"What's up, baby? It's too early..."

He complained, sounding like a 5 year old. Renee smiled at this, ruffling his dark messy hair. She kissed his head before speaking.

"I'm going to go make breakfast. That is, if I can get up."

Upon hearing her statement, Maddox was suddenly pulled out of his lazy state. He pulled away, looking at her.

"No, no. I'm doing it."

"Maddox it's really okay, I don't mind."

"I can't hear you,"

Maddox covered his ears, speaking loudly. He kissed her on the cheek before getting up. Renee tried to sit up, but Maddox gently pushed her small frame back onto the bed.

"Breakfast in bed. Stay here, I won't be long."

      Renee smiled at him happily. He was so sweet. In the meantime, she took out her phone and texted Savannah. Of course, her friend wanted to know just about everything possible. Renee explained as much as she could and promised her she'd be home this afternoon.

      The door was abruptly kicked open, revealing Maddox. His hands were full, as he walked over to the bed with a tray and placed it down. The alluring scent of bacon and eggs filled Renee's senses before she could even look at the plates. Full plates of bacon and scrambled eggs were placed in front of her, along with two glasses of orange juice.

"Thank you, Maddox."

"Of course. Anything for you, love."