7 - preparation

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

*Edited*

Third Person POV

"How do you plan a date?"

On the other end of the phone call, Marie was beaming. She'd been working for Maddox and his family for roughly 5 years, since he was 15, and he had never once went on a date. Back then, his father had hired her and she immediately grew fond of Maddox. He was like a son to her.

   When Maddox moved out of his parent's house at age 18, she moved with him. Marie had become a second mother to Maddox, and solely wanted the best for him. She had already noticed that this girl seemed to be more than good for him.

All in all, Marie was ecstatic.

   The silence on the phone as Marie composed herself as to not sound overly excited made Maddox think the call had cut off somehow. His face scrunched in confusion until he heard the sound of Marie's breathing over the phone.

"I think I have an idea, Maddox." She began.

"Let's start planning when you get home,"

Meanwhile,

Renee's POV

   I smiled to myself as I entered the house, Maddox driving away. I pulled the front door shut, pressing my back against the now closed door. The wooden surface was cool against my skin. Exhaling loudly, I slid down the length of the door until I was sitting against it. Tons of thoughts ran through my brain without pause.

   I had tried not to show too much excitement about this date, as Maddox stayed so calm that I attempted to be as casual as he was about it. I'd been on a few dates in high school, but none of them led to anything further.

I hoped that this date could, though.

   Suddenly my roommate, Savannah, came bounding over to me. I've lived with her for about two years now, and she's one of the few people, aside from my parents, that I genuinely trust. We met in  freshman year of high school, and have been almost inseparable ever since.

   Savannah was truly the definition of beauty, with long blonde hair and bright blue eyes. Freckles lightly dusted her nose and she had a natural glow to her skin. I'd always been jealous of her and how effortlessly beautiful she was.

   Saying that I was a very "girly-girl"compared to her was an understatement. Savannah had a passion for fashion and makeup, and is practically my personal stylist at this point. She's extremely caring and easygoing, always encouraging me to try new things and talk to new people.

Savannah's always been there for me throughout everything, and for that she's family to me.

"Oh my God! Where have you been?" She scolded.

"I've been texting and calling you since last night, Renee." Her tone was stern like a mother's as she stood above me.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and tried to turn it on, only to see the red battery symbol pop up.

Dead.

"I'm sorry Sav, it's been dead." I apologized, sighing.

"Last night was, eventful to say the least."

Curiosity was prominent in all of her features.

"You're telling me everything!" She exclaimed.

"Come on," She reached her hand out for me to grab, and pulled me up off of the floor.

    Savannah walked me over to the couch, letting go of my hand when we sat down. She stared at me, her probing blue eyes baring into mine as she waited for me to begin. I explained everything.

   I started off with my shift at the diner ending at 7:30, the men attacking me on my walk home, and ended with Maddox asking me on a date and dropping me off at home.

Savannah was wide eyed, in shock. She had remained quiet throughout my story, nodding and gasping at the intense parts. Finally, she spoke.

"Thank God for him." She breathed out.

"You scared the shit out of me, Renee. I'm glad you're okay." Savannah wrapped her arms around me, hugging me tightly.

She pulled away and sat for a moment in silence.

It was obvious that she wanted to say something else, and I knew it was. I waited for the inevitable question she would ask, mentally counting down the seconds.

One, two, three...

"Was he hot?"

"Tattoos?"

"Muscles?"

I laughed, rolling my eyes. I literally knew her better than I knew myself.

"Yes, yes, and yes."

"I swear you always find the good ones, you lucky bitch." She pouted, twirling a strand of her blonde hair around her manicured finger.

"Shut up," I smiled, nudging her with my elbow playfully.

"I need something to wear tonight."

Upon hearing that I needed help with something in her area of expertise, Savannah immediately perked up.

"Let's go to the the mall!" She bounced up and down on the couch happily.

Right away, she again grabbed my hand and pulled me to my feet. Savannah ran to the front door, sliding on a pair of flip flops and searching for her keys.

She huffed to herself, irritated. The girl could never find her damn keys.

"Where did I put them?" She groaned, digging through her purse she had placed on the small table by the door.

   I laughed as she wordlessly ran up the stairs, in such an unnecessary rush. I looked around the house for her car keys, finding myself back at the front door. I bent down and checked under the table by the door, to find nothing.

My head came in contact with the top of the table as I tried to get up, and I winced.

"Ow,"

   I rubbed my head, still kneeling on the ground as I surveyed the floor. My traveling gaze landed on Savannah's keys on the ground, right beneath the hook that was hanging on the wall.

How did I actually think, for even a millisecond, that this hook would help her keep track of her keys?

"Savannah, your dumbass keys were on the floor." I called, shouting so that she could hear me from upstairs.

Savannah swiftly came down the stairs, looking at me innocently.

"Oops."

She took the keys from me as we both walked out of the house, and she closed and locked the door behind us.

She ran down the steps and hopped into the car with overwhelming enthusiasm, as I took my time and walked to the car, like a normal person. Already buckled in the now running car, Savannah rolled down the window as I made my way to the door.

"Get in loser, we're going shopping!"