22 - nerves

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

Maddox POV

I slowly began to wake up, shifting uncomfortably in bed. The previous night I had been up every few hours, unable to sleep without Renee beside me. I yawned and sat up, stretching. I'd been texting and calling Renee ever since I had last seen her, but I was struggling without her. Getting work done was difficult when all I could think about was her. She took up all my thoughts, and I was restless.

I sluggishly reached over to my bed side table and grabbed my phone. Going to my messages, I opened up my conversation with Renee. I looked at her contact picture and smiled to myself. So beautiful. I began typing in a message, wanting to see how she was doing.

Maddox:

     I sat in bed and awaited her response

I sat in bed and awaited her response. In the meantime I answered a few emails and began to get impatient. I still hadn't received a response half and hour later. I really wanted to talk to her and make sure she was okay, but maybe she was busy. I felt bad bothering her if she was doing something. I was worried about her though, she always answered my messages within 5 minutes or so. Deciding on sending her another message, I began to type again.

Maddox:

       I still wasn't getting an answer and my nerves were getting the best of me

I still wasn't getting an answer and my nerves were getting the best of me. I was acting like a crazy overprotective boyfriend, I know. But I had a gut feeling that something was wrong. And even if nothing was wrong and I was just being paranoid, at least I'd be sure she was alright.

Maddox:

       An hour later, I didn't receive any response and was practically bouncing of the walls

An hour later, I didn't receive any response and was practically bouncing of the walls. I jumped up and got dressed, rushing to my office. Something was definitely wrong. After making a few calls, I heard a knock on my office door. I rubbed my hand over my forehead.

"Come in."

In walked Michael, Damien, Sal, Jay, and Justin. Justin works with technology and tracking. He's one of the most talented "hackers" per say, in our business. They all took their seats in front of my desk and Jay spoke first.

"What's going on, man? You said it was urgent."

I sighed and bounced my leg up and down underneath the desk.

"Renee hasn't answered me and I feel like something's wrong."

"Fuck," Jay muttered under his breath. He knew just how important Renee was to me, and that I'd go to any lengths to make sure she was safe. The rest of the men were also immediately on edge over the situation.

"Justin, I need you to track her phone to find anything you possibly can that'll help us out here. Location, the last person she spoke to, I don't care."

"Of course, boss. I'll get to it."

      Justin rose up from his seat and made his way to the computer, that was full of all the programs he needed to hack any system or device. He quickly began to work, the sound of the keys on the keyboard clacking prominent in the silence. I started to speak, but froze when my phone rang.

      I grabbed at my phone that was on the desk, scrambling. I flipped my phone over, hoping to see Renee's name pop up and have this all be a misunderstanding. However, I checked the caller ID to see a number I didn't know. I picked up, signaling for everyone to be quiet.

"Maddox, it's Savannah. Tell me Renee is with you."

Savannah's voice audibly shook, and my brain automatically thought the worst.

"Fuck. She's not, I've been trying to get a hold of her for the past hour and a half."

"She didn't come home from work last night and I figured you picked her up or something. Shit!"

Now both me and Savannah were totally panicking.

"I'm gonna find her, Savannah. I have my men working on it right now."

"I trust that you'll get her back to us, Knight. Just keep her safe."

Savannah's voice cracked at the end of her sentence. Renee was just as important to Savannah as she was to me. We needed her in our lives.

"I'll keep you posted. We're trying to track her phone now."

       Me and Savannah said goodbye and I quickly ended the call. It tore me apart, knowing that I wasn't there to keep Renee safe. I wasn't there to protect her. She was alone, away from me, and God knows where she is right now. I have a long list of enemies that would do anything to get my guard down. Renee was seen as my weakness. My world isn't safe for her, and it's selfish of me to be bringing such a pure soul into my bullshit. But now, I can't see my life without her. There's no way I can let her go.

"Michael, Sal. I need you guys to go guard Renee's house. Her friend lives with her, and she might be in danger too. We don't need her being targeted."

"Of course, boss."

"On it."

       I gave the men Renee's address, telling them that they were to have one of them posted at the front entrance of the houses and the other at the back exit. Those who mean something to Renee, mean something to me. And Savannah is her best friend, therefore I'll do everything in my power to make sure she is protected in times like this, as well as Renee.

       My heart hurt. That's the only way to describe the way I was feeling at that exact moment. My entire life, my angel was in danger. I could barely function correctly. I sat in a daze, while Jay and Damien walked around the office, making phone calls. They were trying to figure out who could've been behind this, while Justin was trying to find Renee's location.

       I anxiously tapped my foot on the hardwood floor, unable to stay still any longer. I stood up quickly, all too quickly that my vision blurred for a second. I paced across the room, shaking my head. I hated myself for not being able to protect my girl.

"Man, we're gonna find her. I promise."

"I need her, Jay." I croaked out, my eyes beginning to water.

In front of my men, I was the fearless, intimidating monster. The most well known and ruthless mafia leader. What I said, went. Weakness had no place here. In this world, with these people. Right now, my facade was completely cracking. I was never seen as soft. I never cried over anything or anyone. Then again, one person never meant as much to me as Renee does.

"I know you do."

     Jay sighed, placing his hand on my shoulder. I gave him a nod of acknowledgement, the only way I could show him that I appreciated him at that point in time. I turned around at walked up to the window, looking out into the world around me. A whole storm was taking place in my head, while it was sunny outside, the sky a bright shade of blue. Renee's favorite type of weather; today would be her ideal day. Justin spoke up suddenly, ripping me away from my thoughts.

"Boss, I found out where she is."