39 - shock factor

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

Renee POV

Feeling as though all the breath had left my body, my legs gave out and I found myself sitting on the cold tile floor. Grasping at my chest I attempted to take deep breaths, using the little energy I had left to crawl as far away as from Jay and Ace as possible.

   I pulled my knees up to my chest, rocking back and forth as I tried to regain control of my breathing, the immense adrenaline of the previous incident catching up to me all too quickly, almost creating shock within me.

   Tears flowed down my cheeks, the droplets dampening my shirt. As grateful as I was that Jay had found me before something worse happened, the fear and anxiety entirely overpowered the relief I had felt just seconds before.

   My body began to shake as I willed myself not to look up, knowing the situation between Ace and Jay would only stress me out more. It felt as if I was underwater, all sound around me seemingly muffled except for the irregular pattern of my labored, short breaths.

My chest heaved as anxiety coursed through my veins, my heart pounding against my rib cage.

   I continuously tried to calm down, to take deep breaths, but once I did so and felt better for a moment, my thoughts diverted back to what had happened. Thinking about the way he touched me, the fear I felt when he wouldn't release me made me nauseous.

The trembles and silent sobs racked through my body uncontrollably as I sat by myself for what felt like hours, unable to ease my panic. I suddenly felt a hand on my shoulder, causing me to flinch, looking up with blurry eyes.

   Savannah had bent down in front of me, her expression full of concern. Once she noticed she had gained my attention, she swiftly sat down beside me, speaking quietly, her tone calm and collected.

"You're safe now, Ren. I promise," She rubbed her hand on my back as I launched in and out of stretches of hyperventilation.

"Breathe with me, okay?" I nodded weakly.

"In..." She inhaled deeply and I copied her action to the best of my ability.

"Out..." Savannah exhaled, still rubbing soothing circles on my back.

We did this for a few minutes, until my tears began to cease and my breathing evened out, alleviating the heavy pressure in my chest.

I sniffled, raising my head to look at my surroundings. My face crinkled in confusion upon seeing a completely empty hallway, Jay and Ace no longer standing at the other end. The silence was an extreme contrast to the commotion taking place just minutes ago.

Turning to face Savannah, I began to speak, hoarsely at first, making me clear my throat before being able to get words out.

"Where did they go?"

"I'm not sure, Jay has it taken care of though." Savannah shrugged, gently patting me on the shoulder.

I sat quietly for a moment, trying to gather my thoughts.

"You a bit better now?" Savannah questioned, concerned.

I smiled weakly, nodding.

"Thank you, Sav." I leaned forward, hugging her tightly.

"Always." She affirmed calmly before pulling away and standing up from the cold ground, putting her hand out for me to take.

"Let's get some breakfast," Savannah beamed as I placed my hand in hers, using the bit of support to stand up alongside her.