43 - business as usual

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

Third Person POV

Two days or so of bed-rest and complaints about being "perfectly fine" later, Maddox was discharged from the hospital with a clean bill of health. Everything had finally started to calm down, and Maddox and Renee relished in the peaceful atmosphere.

The two had been inseparable, as Renee continued to take time off from work, spending all of her time with Maddox. They would do everything together, whether it was going out or simply lounging on the couch and watching movies.

The mild separation anxiety had begun to develop, and despite how much Renee was enjoying being home with Maddox, she needed to start working again.

Renee sat on the floor in front of the full length mirror in her bedroom, applying her makeup. She blended concealer over the few blemishes across her skin, patting blush on her cheeks with her ring finger. Running the mascara wand through her lashes in several coats, she stared into the mirror with a great deal of concentration.

"Boo!"

Renee jumped, accidentally poking herself in the eye with the mascara wand. Her head suddenly jerked to the side, giving her whiplash while simultaneously bumping straight into Maddox's forehead.

"Fuck, that hurt." Maddox groaned.

"You're a piece of shit," Renee laughed, sighing and turning back to the mirror to see a smudge of black mascara under her eye.

"I'm sorry," Maddox apologized, watching as Renee attempted to wipe the smudge off of her skin.

Renee ignored him, grabbing a tissue to clean her face off and starting over with her mascara.

Maddox tried to get her attention, "Ren."

"It's fine," Renee replied.

"If I were you, though, I'd watch my back." She teased, smiling as she made eye contact with him.

Maddox sat and watched as she finished up her makeup, swiping a clear lip gloss over her plump lips and carefully pulling her hair out of the pony tail she had it in.

"Do you seriously have to go to work?" Maddox pondered as he admired her while she brushed through her long brown hair.

"I do need to make money, so uh, let me think..." She looked up and placed her pointer finger on her chin as if in deep thought.

"Yes, I do have to work." Renee nodded, turning to him as she tucked her hair behind her ears.

"I'd be more than happy to spend my money on you," He assured.

"I know you would and I appreciate it, I really do. "

"But I'd like to earn my own money." She stated decisively, to which Maddox nodded and sat quietly for a moment.

"I think I love you more every day."

Renee smiled widely, standing up and offering him her hand to help him get up. Maddox, knowing he would pull Renee down with his weight if she actually attempted to pull him up, discreetly lifted himself up while holding her hand to let her have the accomplishment.

It always made her feel strong, and he refused to miss the opportunity to see her face light up with pride.

"Love you!" Renee grabbed her purse off of her bed, giving Maddox a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Wait, wait." Maddox stopped her, holding her face with both of his hands and softly pressing his lips to hers.

"I love you," He smiled, gazing into her green eyes and gently rubbing her cheeks with his thumbs as she grinned.