Story 9 - "I will rescue you."

Based: later part of season 1 (any time after like 1x12)
TW: Mention of blood/injuries
This idea came to me at like 2am, so I wrote it straight away, and posted it on A03. Now it's here! Hope you enjoy!
I tried a slightly different writing style, which isn't in past tense, but let me know what you think.

Rain is hammering against her skin as she runs between the trees. Her hair sticks to her skin, as do her clothes. The air is thick and heavy, barely making its way to the tribrid's lungs as she moves. She does so with speed because she's not alone. No, she and Josie are running as fast as they can, feeling like the woods is much larger now that they are in such a dangerous situation.

Hope stays close to the siphoner, needing to sense her presence next to her as they move, because she is afraid, in fact, terrified that the beast chasing them will hurt Josie. And she can't have that. Staying close means that if it catches up, Josie would have something to siphon, therefore she doesn't go more than a meter away from her.

She keeps moving, the raindrops a sting that she welcomed, if only to keep her in touch with reality. She focuses on the feeling of water falling down her cheeks, down her neck, and the thumping of Josie's heart.

It's still following them, she knows that for sure, but she can't tell how close it is. That is rather unnerving for the tribrid, being in a situation so uncertain, one that she cannot control.

"Not much further." Hope says to Josie, to reassure the both of them. They'd first seen it near the Town Square, and they knew they had to get it out of sight of the humans. This led to their plan of having it chase them towards the school, so that they could either sort it out themselves or get back up from Doctor Saltzman and the others. They hadn't even had the time to stop and think of what it could be, though Hope did have her theories already. All they know is that there was a strange-looking beast watching the humans and that they had to do something about it. The second Hope saw it, she had put a cloaking spell on it, as well as on her and Josie so that they could handle the situation with less of a clean up job for the vampires.

If Hope were on her own, she would have been able to arrive at the school by now, courtesy of her enhanced speed. Adding Josie to the equation means that they move at a slower pace than she would like, but Hope is not about to leave Josie behind. She resists the urge told to hold the girl's hand, even if she could play it off as giving her a chance to siphon. They still need to get it further from the town so that when they inevitably do a spell to stop it, nobody else sees or hears anything.

The running is taking its toll on the brunette - her legs feel like they're on the verge of falling off, and her lungs are screaming at her. They're on fire, and she just needs a second to breathe. Just a second. So, she stops, allowing much-needed air to fill her lungs. She puts her hands on her knees, and breathes, as deeply as she can because she knows she doesn't have long. The creature is extremely close.

An arm finds its way to Josie's back, and before she has the chance to do anything, her body is thrown against the closest tree. Her back clashes harshly with the rough wood, and the air that she had so desperately needed was once again out of reach. She can feel the pain of the impact from head to toe, a strong ache that doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon. It shoots through her like electricity. Her vision is slightly fuzzy, mostly because of the large amount of rain, but not to the point that she can't see. Her eyes can barely make out the outline of a tall figure, with skin close to black and bones poking out of it at every joint. And when she sees the arm lift, claws sprouting from it, she freezes. Her whole body stops and everything seems to move slower. There appears to be something close to an evil smirk on the face of the monster as its hand moves closer and closer. She watches the claws (which somewhat resemble sharp blades you might find in your kitchen) as they move towards her, and she wants to fight back, to do something, but her body won't move. Josie is face to face with it, and she isn't doing anything.