Story 25 - "Andrea"

Authors note:
This is an idea I've had for a while, and I plan on playing with this idea again in the future and continuing it in a full story and not just a oneshot. But for now, this is what you're getting :)

Josie and the Squad crash the latest Mystic Falls High Dance and a strange girl seems to have her eye on Josie.

Josie looks in the mirror, running her hands down the material of her dress. It's perfect, white and silky, a simple look as she doesn't want to draw too much attention to herself. Life has been hard enough recently. With dreams of a strange girl keeping her up at night, to feeling like there's something...missing. Like there's just this great big hole in her life where something used to be, but she can't work out what that something is.

Lizzie on the other hand, well she's gone for something a little bolder. Especially since the idea to crash the dance was hers in the first place. She's trying to draw as much attention as she can, which in some ways will help keep the spotlight away from Josie.

She'd first approached the Squad about it a few days ago. She suggested that they all dress up and attend the Mystic Falls High Masquerade Ball, seeing as their school never has dances as fun as this (this is usually down to a monster problem or two). MG agreed enthusiastically, which is no surprise considering he'll do just about anything Lizzie says. Kaleb agreed if only to keep an eye on MG around all of the humans. Landon and Rafael decided to tag along seeing as they had nothing better to do. And Josie, well she didn't want to go. She hasn't wanted to do much of anything over the past few months. it's hard to describe, but she's felt somewhat of a void in her life recently, and she can't work out what is meant to fill it. But anyway, she basically got forced into it by Lizzie.

"Perfect!" Lizzie says from the bathroom door. "What do you think?" Josie looks to her twin, who's dressed much fancier than herself, with a mask to match the outfit.

"You look great." Lizzie smiles at the compliment. She walks over to her twin, hooking her arm around Josie's as she leads them to the door. Josie picks up her mask on the way out, sliding it over her face.

"We both do. Those pesky Mystic Falls students won't know what hit them."

Just a few hours. Josie can handle it all for a few hours.

She has to.

Before she walks out the door, she leans down to her desk to pick up her favorite necklace to complete her look. A smile graces her lips at the familiar feeling of it sitting on her chest, and suddenly she's ready for anything the night could throw at her.

----

They meet up with the rest of the Squad outside. After some persuasion, Lizzie had managed to convince her father to drive them all to the dance in the minivan, so as to not make it obvious they are from the Salvatore School, (not that anyone will know when they get in there). The man said something about needing to into town anyway.

When they arrive, dozens of well-dressed students are flooding in through the main entrance.

"Alright, I want you all back here at 12pm, no later. Anyone who's even a second late will face the consequences. Understand?" Hums of acknowledgment are thrown around. They all take his threat rather lightly.

"Yeah, whatever. Bye dad, love you!" Lizzie shouts as she's the first one to leave the van. The rest follow behind shortly after.

Josie walks beside Landon. He's become sort of her best friend in recent weeks. After they both expressed feeling a hole in their life, they've spent their summer searching for answers and they are yet to find any. It has kind of brought them closer together.