Story 29 - "She's running"

Hope doesn't feel anything. Her emotions are gone. Since she flipped the switch, her blood runs cold and she doesn't care. She's never angry or upset, she simply exists. A shell of what once was. A shell that runs around causing chaos, killing for fun. She feeds on blood and finds joy in the hunt, in the fear in the victim's eyes as she chases them. She revels in the feeling of the life draining from their body, right under her fingertips. She revels in the metallic taste of their blood.

She's a darkness, an evil that the world has always feared she'd become. She's a ruthless killer, with no attachment to any object or person.

That's what she tells herself. That's the reminder she gives.

And while she has no emotions, here she is running, praying, hoping that she makes it on time. She doesn't understand why she's running, because she doesn't care. She shouldn't care. But she's still running, a blur in the wind, desperate to make it to the bus station in time. 

Her switch is off, but she's running to Josie because she can't let her go.

When she heard Josie leaving, there wasn't even a second thought. She didn't stop to think. she just ran, as if something took over her.

But it's not emotions. 

Hope doesn't feel anything.

She stops a mere few yards away from the stop. Sitting under the rain shelter is Josie. Two bags by her side, a warm coat covering her body. Her eyes look puffy like she's just been crying. Her hair is done up and she's clutching something in her hands, holding it so tightly you'd think it could break. Only when she lifts her head does Hope get a full view of the talisman. A gift she'd given to help Josie to protect her, to guide her.

"Hope..." She mutters. Rain patters against the floor.

"You're leaving." Her voice is stable, but in a way that would have you think it is hiding something. Like it's a mask. And when you pull away that layer, you're left with all that raw emotion. A mix of hurt and fear. A feeling of betrayal.

But not Hope. 

She doesn't feel anything.

"What are you doing here?" 

"I...I don't know." Hope jokingly admits, because it's true. She doesn't. Her switch is off, but she came running. "I don't really know much of anything that's going on with me right now, just that I couldn't let you leave."

"I don't understand." Josie frowns. She gets up from her seat, leaving her bags to rest on the cold, wet floor.

"Me either. And that's the worst part." Hope rubs her face, taking a breath to try and come up with some kind of response. "I just-the thought of you leaving gave me this weird ache."

"An ache?"

"Like my chest was caving in. Like I couldn't breathe until I saw you. Almost like I felt-but I couldn't have. I shouldn't have. I don't feel anything. I'm not supposed to feel anything. I mean, that's the point of the switch, right?"

Josie doesn't answer, unsure of where Hope is going with this. She dares to take a step closer and either Hope doesn't notice, or she doesn't mind. 

Josie takes another.

"So why did the thought of you leaving make me feel something?" Hope admits. Josie's eyes widen.

"I wasn't just leaving, Hope. I was leaving for you." Hope looks confused. "I was going to find a way to bring the real you back."

The real her? What is the real her?

A killer? Someone who loves to take lives from innocent people?

Or a student? A friend? A niece? A kind, gentle soul who protects those she loves?